Latex code for my dissertation

In summary, the person lost their Latex code for their dissertation and is now looking for help to remember a specific line of code that automatically fits brackets and fractions. They have been searching online but cannot find it. They mention that using \left( \right) and similar codes can resize automatically without writing their own code. They ask for clarification on what the code did.
squenshl
I recently deleted my Latex code for my dissertation and now I'm starting from scratch. In my last code I had a line of code at the beginning that does all of my auto fitting for brackets, fractions etc. without having to worry about using \Bigg etc. but I can't seem to remember what it is, I have been looking all over the internet but I can't find it. Someone help please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

If you just use \left( \right) and similarly for [ ], \{ \}, etc... then latex does the resizing for you. You don't need to write your own code for choosing the appropriate \big, \Big, \Bigg, etc...

If that's not what you mean, can you be more specific about what exactly your code did?

What is Latex code and why is it used for dissertations?

Latex is a typesetting language used for creating high-quality documents, particularly in the fields of science and mathematics. It is popular for dissertations as it allows for precise formatting and easy integration of complex equations and figures.

Do I need to know how to code to use Latex for my dissertation?

While some basic coding knowledge can be helpful, it is not necessary to know how to code to use Latex for your dissertation. There are many templates and resources available online that can guide you through the process.

Can I use Latex for any type of dissertation?

Yes, Latex can be used for dissertations in any field. It is especially useful for dissertations with a lot of mathematical equations, tables, and figures.

How do I get started with using Latex for my dissertation?

The first step is to download a Latex distribution, such as MiKTeX or TeX Live. Then, you can choose a template or create your own document using Latex code. There are also many tutorials and guides available online to help you get started.

Is Latex code for dissertations different from regular Latex code?

There may be some slight differences in formatting and packages used, but for the most part, Latex code for dissertations follows the same syntax and rules as regular Latex code. It may just require more specific packages for certain formatting or equations.