Troubleshooting LaTeX Codes with Fraction Line Disappearance

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter mech-eng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the user is experiencing strange behaviors with their latex codes, such as disappearing fraction lines. They suspect it may be related to their PC or browser settings. Others suggest trying to zoom in or adjusting the font size, as it could be a problem with the aspect ratio of the image being rendered. Ultimately, it is suggested to seek help from @Greg Bernhardt for further assistance.
mech-eng
I cannot determine what the problem is. My latex codes have strange behaviors. This might be related to my PC. Fraction lines are disappearing.

What is the problem?

latex.png

When I put reply button then preview it it looks good.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...blem-using-trigonometric-substitution.969439/
Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried zooming into see if it’s really not there?

It is related to your PC/browser settings. It appears just fine in my browser.

Likes mech-eng
Orodruin said:
It is related to your PC/browser settings. It appears just fine in my browser.

What could I do to fix the problem?

I think @Greg Bernhardt can help. There were similar problems before associated with a browser setting associated with some kind of rapid rendering. Greg may remember what setting it was.

Meanwhile, please post what browser and browser version number you are using.

Chrome. It reads it is updated. There is a number: 73.0.3683.86 and a writing something as "formal compilation".

How about the font size setting? It may affect the rendering too.

jedishrfu said:
How about the font size setting?
This is what @Greg Bernhardt's reply was when I asked a similar question.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I would use the zoom feature rather than mess with specific font sizes.

I mentioned zooming in earlier (see post #2) but apparently it got lost in the stream of other posts.

Sometimes graphical rendering will lose a horizontal or vertical line of one pixel width if positioned at a fold where everything along the fold is skipped to keep the aspect ratio intact. Zooming in helps you to see if that's the problem or not and font size adjustments can help make this disappear.

Likes dlgoff
Yes, when zooming in, it works. Thanks. I could never have thougth zooming could cause such a problem.

Its not the zooming but the notion of how aspect ratio is kept. There is only so much horizontal and vertical resolution available and so invariably a row or column of pixels is sacrificed in the interest of preserving the aspects of the image being rendered.

Likes dlgoff

1. Why do fraction lines disappear in LaTeX?

Fraction line disappearance in LaTeX is usually caused by a missing package or incorrect syntax. Make sure you have the necessary packages loaded and that your code follows the correct syntax for fractions.

2. How can I fix fraction line disappearance in my LaTeX code?

To fix fraction line disappearance, first check for any missing packages or incorrect syntax in your code. If that does not solve the issue, try enclosing your fraction code within curly braces to ensure it is treated as a single unit.

3. Is there a specific package I need to use to display fractions in LaTeX?

Yes, the amsmath package is commonly used for displaying mathematical equations in LaTeX, including fractions. Make sure to load this package in your document's preamble.

4. Why are my fractions not displaying properly in my LaTeX document?

In addition to missing packages or incorrect syntax, fractions may not display properly in LaTeX if they are placed within certain environments, such as tables. Consider moving the fraction code outside of the problematic environment or using a different method for displaying fractions in that context.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using fractions in LaTeX?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using fractions in LaTeX include forgetting to use the correct package, using the wrong syntax, and not enclosing the fraction code within curly braces. It is also important to ensure that the fraction is placed in the correct location within the code and that it is not being affected by any conflicting commands or environments.