LaTeX end section or subsection

In summary, the problem is that I can't jump back up to the main topic of my note-taking application after I finish a subsection. I've been using the \section{title here}, \subsection{}, and \subsubsection{} commands to set up the hierarchy, but I get a compile error when I try to use the \begin{subsection}, etc commands. I've tried using the \begin{subsection}, etc commands, but I get this compile error:./tensoritis.tex:98: Missing \endcsname inserted.<to be read again> \@@par l.
wil3
hello. I'm trying to get better acquainted with\LaTeX\ but I'm having some issues with document hierarchy. I've set LaTeX to automatically indent subsections by 1 inch, subsubsections by 2 in, etc. This way progressive sections "funnel" down the right side of the page. I've already done the necessary modification to the commands, the issue involves jumping back to a higher level, ie removing the indentation.

I don't want to enter the subsection environment, so I've been using the \section{title here}, \subsection{}, and \subsubsection{} commands.

I've tried using the \begin{subsection}, etc commands, but I get this compile error:

./tensoritis.tex:98: Missing \endcsname inserted.
<to be read again>
\@@par
l.98 \end
{subsection}
?

The trick I tried is finishing a subsection, then declaring a new subsection* with no visible title information. For some reason, I end up staying within the subsection.
The application is notetaking, in which I routinely want to funnel down a topic into sections and then jump back up to the main topic being covered.

Thanks very much

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
oops, my bad. My sub sections and subsubsections are progressively indented, so that as I use subsections I get further to the right. That's what I meant by "funnelling."

I forgot that wasn't default. Thanks.

Note: I've modified the original post to make this clear to anyone who comes across this. Does anyone have any clues on how to fix this issue?

here's what I've been using:

\let\oldsubsection\subsection
\renewcommand{\subsection}{\leftskip=1in\oldsubsection}
\let\oldsubsubsection\subsubsection
\renewcommand{\subsubsection}{\leftskip=1in\oldsubsubsection}

I'm still trying to understand that link (I'm a bit of a newbie), but I'll get back to you if that works.

1. What is the purpose of an end section or subsection in LaTeX?

An end section or subsection in LaTeX is used to mark the end of a particular section or subsection within a document. This allows for proper organization and structure of the document, making it easier to navigate and understand.

2. How do I create an end section or subsection in LaTeX?

To create an end section or subsection in LaTeX, you can use the command "\end{section}" or "\end{subsection}" respectively. These commands should be placed at the end of the section or subsection you want to mark.

3. Can I customize the appearance of the end section or subsection in LaTeX?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of the end section or subsection in LaTeX by using the appropriate package or by manually changing the formatting options. This includes changing the font, size, and alignment of the end section or subsection.

4. Is it necessary to use end sections or subsections in LaTeX?

While it is not necessary, using end sections or subsections in LaTeX can greatly improve the organization and readability of your document. It also allows for easier navigation and referencing of specific sections or subsections.

5. Can I nest end sections or subsections in LaTeX?

Yes, you can nest end sections or subsections in LaTeX. This means that you can have multiple levels of sections and subsections within your document. However, it is important to use proper indentation and hierarchy to avoid confusion and maintain a clear structure.