Latex Equations Rendering Limits in PF Forums

In summary, the Latex rendering process in PF can sometimes fail when submitting a lot of equations, and it would be nice to get some feedback on the nature of the Latex database failure.
mysearch
Gold Member
Hi,
I have used latex generated equations in several forums and realize that there is a cutoff as to the number of equations that can be rendered, although I don't know what the limit is, i.e. I have just reach a point where it just fails.:grumpy:

Tonight, I was trying to submit 3-4 equations, which I have submitted before into Cosmology, but which now appear to fail when submitted into the Astrophysics forum. Hence the following questions:

1) What is the limit?
2) Is there any new problems/limits in force?
3) Are there any differences between sub-forums?

As a general comment, Latex rendering within PF really makes a big difference to the quality of the discussions, so it would be nice if some feedback info could be provided when the rendering fails. Just a thought

Thanks

P.S. Will try again in the morning

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no limit, but if you create a post with a lot of latex and the server is swamped, sometimes the images come out broken.

mysearch said:
Hi,
I have used latex generated equations in several forums and realize that there is a cutoff as to the number of equations that can be rendered, although I don't know what the limit is, i.e. I have just reach a point where it just fails.:grumpy

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=242432

might be relevant.

#2: There is no limit, but if you create a post with a lot of latex and the server is swamped, sometimes the images come out broken.
Greg: thanks for the feedback and I accept the finite capacity of any server under load. Again, some status feedback on the nature of the Latex database failure might be useful here, if possible. However, my experience is that there does appear to be a practical limit to latex generation at almost at anytime, i.e. preview never works twice, when too many equations are submitted. I tried again today, (several times), with my original posting, but again it failed every time so had to delete most of the equations I wanted to submit. Originally, there were 6 equations, which I know were all OK, in syntax terms, but finally I only managed to submit 2. I guess I could have broken the post into sections, but this then becomes problematic as far as referencing equations in other posts etc.
#3: If I write a post that has a lot a latex in in it, I get a database error even when I post without previewing. The post, however, does show up in the thread. So, I put "under construction" at the top of the post, and edit until it looks right, at which time I remove "under construction." After each (series of) edit(s), I post without previewing.

George: thanks for the reference thread in post #3. The quote above is one of yours extracted from this thread. I tend to check my latex syntax in another website to minimise the overhead on preview, but still like to use preview prior to posting. I have to say the method you suggest sounds a bit messy, especially as I would have thought this is exactly what preview is intended to prevent (?)

However, to put my comments into perspective, this is the first time I have noticed the Latex process be so restrictive, which is the reason I raised it. Thanks

mysearch said:
Originally, there were 6 equations, which I know were all OK, in syntax terms, but finally I only managed to submit 2. I guess I could have broken the post into sections, but this then becomes problematic as far as referencing equations in other posts etc.

hmm I've seen posts that had what must have been 50 latex images. Not sure why you're having problems. Try PMing Chroot, he'd have more information as he created it.

1. What is the purpose of rendering Latex equations in PF forums?

The purpose of rendering Latex equations in PF forums is to display complex mathematical equations, formulas, and symbols in a more visually pleasing and organized manner. This makes it easier for users to understand and follow mathematical discussions on the forums.

2. How can I render Latex equations in PF forums?

To render Latex equations in PF forums, you can use the built-in Latex editor or use Latex code surrounded by dollar signs ($). Alternatively, you can use the "Insert Equation" button in the forum's text editor to add equations using a graphical interface.

3. Are there any limitations to rendering Latex equations in PF forums?

Yes, there are some limitations to rendering Latex equations in PF forums. The forum's Latex editor may not support all Latex commands, symbols, and packages. Additionally, there may be a limit to the number of equations that can be rendered in a single post.

4. Can I edit or modify rendered Latex equations in PF forums?

Yes, you can edit or modify rendered Latex equations in PF forums by clicking on the equation and using the forum's Latex editor. However, if the equation was inserted using Latex code, you will need to modify the code itself.

5. Can I use Latex equations in all PF forums?

No, not all PF forums support Latex equation rendering. Some forums may have this feature disabled, while others may have certain restrictions or limitations. It is best to check the forum's guidelines or contact the forum administrator for more information.