Latex Guide Link: Easily Accessible Toolbar Option

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter erobz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the link in the lower left corner of the comment box that shows how to learn latex is either known to the poster or easy to find. It is possible to configure AutoHotKey to paste the sentence with the link when the key combination is pressed.
erobz
Homework Helper
Gold Member
A link to the latex guide. I feel like I insert it (and see others linking it) often enough that it is worth asking about having it a fixed option in the tool bar. An “insert latex guide” link. It seems like most newcomers don’t bother to look at at, unless you point it out.

Just an idea. Don’t hurt me.

Likes scottdave, BillTre and Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
Different from the existing link? (lower left of the Edit window)

1684680606265.png

berkeman said:
Different from the existing link? (lower left of the Edit window)

View attachment 326851

Yeah, I was thinking in the header (maybe within the create a link icon).

The way I see it one can either tell the poster, "hey there is a link in the lower left corner of the reply box that shows how to learn Latex" I'm sure you've typed that sentence a few hundred times or so by now. Or, I like to be more direct and open the link, copy the address, and create a link directly in the body of the reply so it is practically inescapable that they do not find it, or consider it. I see others doing that as well.

Last edited:
To me it seems like people that make the posts with math like "z= x^2+3/y-4 " don't know about "latex" so they aren't looking for it, nor are they seeing the existing link. I suspect most newcomers don't immediately read all the site info before making a post, they just make it. That leaves "helpers" saying "here are the hw forum rules, here is the latex guide ect...over and over. I don't think that will ever change. So my only hope was that a few steps could be cut out of the process programmatically each time we must perform "the nudge".

If you are on Windows, you can make use of AutoHotKey. Configure it such that a certain key combination will paste these sentences with the necessary links. On Linux, you can use AutoKey.

Wrichik Basu said:
If you are on Windows, you can make use of AutoHotKey. Configure it such that a certain key combination will paste these sentences with the necessary links. On Linux, you can use AutoKey.
Thanks, I'll probably just configure my brain to stop worrying about it.

• Haha
  • Sad
Likes berkeman and Wrichik Basu
erobz said:
Yeah, I was thinking in the header (maybe within the create a link icon).

The way I see it one can either tell the poster, "hey there is a link in the lower left corner of the reply box that shows how to learn Latex" I'm sure you've typed that sentence a few hundred times or so by now. Or, I like to be more direct and open the link, copy the address, and create a link directly in the body of the reply so it is practically inescapable that they do not find it, or consider it. I see others doing that as well.
You can copy the link from the lower left corner of the comment interface while writing your answer. It's even conveniently located right next to the text input. Right-click, copy link address (or similar), paste. Drag&Drop works, too.

https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

Likes erobz and Greg Bernhardt
mfb said:
You can copy the link from the lower left corner of the comment interface while writing your answer. It's even conveniently located right next to the text input. Right-click, copy link address (or similar), paste. Drag&Drop works, too.

https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/
I didn't think of doing that. Drag and Drop solves the issue completely!

Thank You!

Last edited:

What is "Latex Guide Link: Easily Accessible Toolbar Option"?

"Latex Guide Link: Easily Accessible Toolbar Option" is a feature in the Latex program that allows users to quickly access commonly used tools and commands through a toolbar located at the top of the screen.

How do I enable the "Latex Guide Link: Easily Accessible Toolbar Option"?

To enable this feature, you can either click on the "Toolbar" option in the main menu and select "Latex Guide Link" or use the shortcut key "Ctrl+T".

Can I customize the toolbar in "Latex Guide Link: Easily Accessible Toolbar Option"?

Yes, you can customize the toolbar by right-clicking on it and selecting "Customize Toolbar". From there, you can add or remove tools and commands to suit your needs.

Is "Latex Guide Link: Easily Accessible Toolbar Option" available for all operating systems?

Yes, this feature is available for all operating systems that support Latex, including Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Can I revert back to the original toolbar layout after enabling "Latex Guide Link: Easily Accessible Toolbar Option"?

Yes, you can revert back to the original toolbar layout by right-clicking on the toolbar and selecting "Reset Toolbar".