LaTeX Install: Do I have this right?

In summary, the conversation discusses the installation process for LaTeX on a university computer running Windows XP. The recommended steps are to download and install MikTex from their website, and then download and install TeXnicCenter from their website. There is no need for manual configuration, and packages will be automatically installed when needed. It is recommended to have administrative rights for easier installation, but it is possible to install for personal use without it. A list of desired packages can be included in a dummy document for the administrator to install, or the full LaTeX system can be installed with all packages.
Saladsamurai
Hello All! :smile:

I need to install LaTeX on a university computer (Windows XP) and so I have to run the install process by our administrator. Before I do so, want to make sure I have all the details. I planned on using MikTex and TeXnicCenter. I believe that I need:

1) To download and install MikTex from http://miktex.org/2.9/setup

2) To download and install TeXnicCenter from http://www.texniccenter.org/resources/downloads/29

Do I need to do any configuring between the two pieces of software? Or is it done automatically?

Also, it says that when you use a directive like \usepackage{memoir}, it will trigger the installer automatically and install the package at the time of first use. Do you think that this will be an issue if I do not have administrative rights to the computer? I hate to think that I will need to go get this guy every time I use a new directive :eek:

Any thoughts are helpful! Thanks! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For anyone who might find this, I successfully installed LaTeX by doing the following:

1) Downloaded MikTex from http://miktex.org/2.9/setup

and

TeXnicCenter from
http://www.texniccenter.org/resources/downloads/29

2) Ran the MikTeX installer

-accepted default conditions except for "install on the fly" which I
changed to 'yes' instead of 'ask me first'

3) Ran TexnicCenter installer accepting all default conditions

4)Open TeXnicCenter, close tip of day, and when promted for'Full Path
of directory where executables...' browse to:

C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.9\miktex\bin

5) Accept remaining defaults and finish

Happy LaTeXing! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Saladsamurai said:
Do I need to do any configuring between the two pieces of software? Or is it done automatically?

You don't need to configure anything in MiKTeX, unless you really want to make your installation non-standard for some reason :rolleyes: I don't know about TexnicCenter - never used it.

Actually, you may not even need to have administrator privilege, if you only want to install it for use in your own account, not for all accounts. (You definitely don't need to be logged on as the Administrator account - a user account with admin privilege works fine).

Also, it says that when you use a directive like \usepackage{memoir}, it will trigger the installer automatically and install the package at the time of first use. Do you think that this will be an issue if I do not have administrative rights to the computer? I hate to think that I will need to go get this guy every time I use a new directive :eek:

It only installs each package once - not every single time you use it! The most common packages are part of the basic install anyway.

If you have a list of packages that you know you want, make a dummy TeX document that contains \usepackage{} for all of them, and get your administrator to run it through TeX. MiKTeX will then download and install everything you haven't already got.

Alternatively, you could get your administrator to install the full LaTeX system with every package in the database. THis is a bit more complicated than the "basic" instal, (and it's a much bigger download) but the procedure is described step by step on the MiKTeX website.

1. What is LaTeX and why do I need to install it?

LaTeX is a typesetting system used to create professional-looking documents, particularly in the fields of science, mathematics, and engineering. It is often preferred over other word processing software due to its ability to handle complex equations and formatting. Installing LaTeX allows you to access its features and create documents with ease.

2. How do I know if I have installed LaTeX correctly?

After installing LaTeX, you can test if it is working properly by opening your preferred text editor and typing in a simple LaTeX code, such as \documentclass{article}. Save the file with a .tex extension and compile it. If a PDF document is generated without any errors, then your installation was successful.

3. Can I use LaTeX on any operating system?

Yes, LaTeX is a cross-platform software and can be installed on most operating systems including Windows, Mac, and Linux. However, the installation process may vary slightly depending on the operating system you are using.

4. Is LaTeX free to install?

Yes, LaTeX is an open-source software and is free to install and use. There are no licensing fees or restrictions on its usage. However, some add-on packages may require payment for commercial use.

5. Can I customize my LaTeX installation?

Yes, you can customize your LaTeX installation by choosing which packages and fonts to install. This allows you to have a more personalized and efficient setup based on your specific needs. You can also change the default settings and preferences to suit your preferences.