LaTeX preview in the "Postings" list in Profiles?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter berkeman
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the discovery of the first few lines of LaTeX being shown in a user's profile's "Postings" list. There is uncertainty about whether this is a new feature or if it has always been present. @K Murty is mentioned as the user in question and it is noted that the forum only takes the first few characters for displaying LaTeX. It is also mentioned that the forum interprets LaTeX independently from other content.
berkeman
Mentor
I just noticed in the "Postings" list of a user's posts listed in his Profile, that it was showing the first few lines of LaTeX that he has written in his threads. I've never noticed that before. It seems like I usually see just a line or two of text from the beginning of the posts, if anything at all.

Does anybody know if this is new? Or as usual am I just real slow at noticing stuff like this?

upload_2018-7-12_16-1-34.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-12_16-1-34.png
    upload_2018-7-12_16-1-34.png
    76.4 KB · Views: 57
Physics news on Phys.org
Can't help you Berk, I can't remember myself.

As far as I know the forum just takes the first x characters. If they contain valid LaTeX markup with delimiters that gets interpreted as the LaTeX conversion is independent of the other stuff the forum does. You can see the result in the post made in the O.D.E thread: The first x characters contain the first part of a formula but not the end, therefore it is not interpreted.

Likes berkeman

1. How do I enable LaTeX preview in the "Postings" list in Profiles?

To enable LaTeX preview in the "Postings" list in Profiles, go to the "Settings" tab in your Profile and click on "Postings". Then, under "Postings Display", check the box next to "Enable LaTeX preview". Save your changes and the LaTeX preview should now be enabled in the "Postings" list.

2. Can I customize the size and placement of the LaTeX preview in the "Postings" list?

Yes, you can customize the size and placement of the LaTeX preview in the "Postings" list. Under "Postings Display" in your Profile's "Settings" tab, you can adjust the size of the preview using the "Preview Size" option. You can also choose whether you want the preview to appear on the left or right side of the posting using the "Preview Position" option.

3. Is it possible to turn off the LaTeX preview in the "Postings" list?

Yes, you can turn off the LaTeX preview in the "Postings" list. Simply go to the "Settings" tab in your Profile and click on "Postings". Then, under "Postings Display", uncheck the box next to "Enable LaTeX preview". Save your changes and the LaTeX preview will no longer appear in the "Postings" list.

4. Can I use custom LaTeX commands in the preview in the "Postings" list?

Yes, you can use custom LaTeX commands in the preview in the "Postings" list. However, please note that not all commands may be supported and some may not display correctly in the preview. If you encounter any issues, please report them to the platform's technical support team.

5. Will the LaTeX preview in the "Postings" list be visible to all users?

Yes, the LaTeX preview in the "Postings" list will be visible to all users who have enabled it in their Profile settings. If a user has not enabled the preview, they will not see it in the "Postings" list. Additionally, users who do not have a LaTeX plugin installed on their browser will not be able to see the preview.