Preview renders latex but posted message does not

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a user's experience with using LaTex on a forum thread. They encountered issues with the LaTex disappearing after posting and had to hastily edit the text version of the algebra. They also discuss the possibility of the issue being caused by another user's reply with LaTex. The user eventually reposted with the LaTex successfully displayed, but is unsure of what they did differently.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
In replying to the thread https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...n-arithmetic-progression.997190/#post-6429582 I exerted myself to write the binomial coefficients in Latex. After they displayed properly in the Preview function of the editor, I Posted the thread and the LaTex vanished.

When I Edited the message, the Latex was gone and only a text version of the algebra appeared. So I hastily edited the text algebra by adding parenthesis, so it made sense. I was going to advise the OP to use LaTex, but after this experience, I can see why he/she might not want to.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like it worked in your repost. What did you do differently?

Stephen Tashi said:
I'm having trouble getting the forum's LaTex to work.

I'll try again:

For example:

##\frac{\frac{n!}{(n-(r+1))!(r+1)!} }{\frac{n!}{(n-r)! r!} } ##

## = \frac{(n-r)!}{(n-(r+1))!} \frac{r!}{(r+1)!)}##

## = (n-r) \frac{1}{(r+1)} ##

I've had this happen to me. I think you have to have previewed something with LaTeX, and then someone else replies to the thread (anuttarasammyak in this case, I suspect - perhaps @Stephen Tashi can confirm if he saw that post before starting to reply).

I think it only happens with the rich text editor, but I'm not 100% certain on that. It's also possible that the "intruding" reply needs LaTeX in it.

I didn't notice doing anything different in my second reply - except that I copied the LaTex in the preview to the clipboard in case it vanished again!

The message by @anuttarasammyak was already showing when I began composing my first reply.

Likes Ibix

1. Why does my latex preview render correctly but the posted message does not?

The most common reason for this issue is that the latex code is not being properly formatted in the posted message. Make sure that all the necessary syntax and symbols are included, and that there are no extra spaces or line breaks that could be causing the issue.

2. How can I fix the problem of my latex not showing up correctly in the posted message?

One solution is to use a latex editor or compiler to generate the correct code and then copy and paste it into the message. Another option is to use a browser extension that has built-in support for rendering latex, such as MathJax.

3. Is there a specific format that my latex code needs to be in for it to display correctly in the posted message?

Yes, there are certain formatting rules for latex code that must be followed for it to render correctly. For example, all latex code must be enclosed in dollar signs ($$) and any special symbols or commands must be included using the correct syntax.

4. I am using a third-party tool to post my message, but the latex is not showing up. How can I fix this?

Some third-party tools may not have built-in support for rendering latex. In this case, you can try using a different tool or manually formatting the latex code in your message using the correct syntax. Alternatively, you can use a tool that has built-in support for latex, such as Overleaf.

5. Can I use any type of latex code in my posted message?

It depends on the platform or tool you are using. Some platforms may have restrictions on the type of latex code that can be used, while others may not support certain commands or symbols. It is best to check the platform's documentation or guidelines for using latex in posted messages.