LaTeX question about Feynman Diagrams

In summary, the conversation revolves around creating Feynman Graphs in LaTeX. One person mentions trying to use the feynmf package but encountering issues with compiling and getting a distorted graph. Another person suggests using axodraw instead, and also mentions the possible need for running metafont before compiling with pdflatex.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
Has anyone of you tried to work with creating Feynman Graphs in LaTeX?

I tried using the feynmf package, as explained here:
https://www.sharelatex.com/learn/Feynman_diagrams
and used the same introductory script:
\begin{fmffile*}{diagram}
\begin{fmfgraph}(40,25)
\fmfleft{i1,i2}
\fmfright{o1,o2}
\fmf{fermion}{i1,v1,o1}
\fmf{fermion}{i2,v2,o2}
\fmf{photon}{v1,v2}
\end{fmfgraph}
\end{fmffile*}

Trying to run it like this doesn't work, and during compiling I get the message that (\begin{fmffile*}{diagram}) is wrong... After removing the *, the compiling works, but I get a very weird graph which:
1. Is very small
2. I am not able to interfere with... (like changing the lines-vertices)

Has anyone ever had that problem? any way to solve it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no experience with feynmf, I usually use axodraw and it works reasonably.

Do you understand what the procedure:
"latex-dvips-ps2pdf route"
means? Because TeX won't make axodraw work with pdflatex...

I vaguely remember that I had to run metafont (?) whenever I changed something in a fmffile-environment before running pdflatex.

Hi there,

As a fellow scientist, I have also encountered difficulties with creating Feynman diagrams in LaTeX. The feynmf package can be tricky to use, and it's important to make sure that all the necessary files are in the same directory as your LaTeX document. In addition, the * in \begin{fmffile*} is used for externalizing the diagrams, so if you don't need that feature, you can remove the *.

If you're still having issues with the size and appearance of your graph, I suggest looking into other packages such as TikZ-Feynman or feynman, which may be easier to use and provide more control over the diagram's appearance. You can also try adjusting the scale of your graph by using the \fmfset{...} command before \begin{fmfgraph}.

I hope this helps, and I wish you success in creating your Feynman diagrams in LaTeX!

1. What is LaTeX?

LaTeX is a typesetting language used for creating professional quality documents, particularly in the fields of mathematics, science, and engineering. It allows for precise formatting and mathematical equations.

2. How do I create Feynman diagrams in LaTeX?

To create Feynman diagrams in LaTeX, you will need to use the TikZ-Feynman package. This package allows you to easily draw Feynman diagrams using a set of predefined commands and styles. You can also customize your diagrams with various options and settings.

3. Can I label and reference Feynman diagrams in LaTeX?

Yes, you can label and reference Feynman diagrams in LaTeX using the \label and \ref commands. First, give your diagram a label using the \label command, then use the \ref command to reference it in your text. This will automatically update the numbering if you add or remove diagrams.

4. Can I include Feynman diagrams in my scientific paper using LaTeX?

Yes, you can include Feynman diagrams in your scientific paper using LaTeX. You can either include them as standalone figures or incorporate them into your text using the \includegraphics command. Be sure to properly cite the source of the diagram if it is not your own.

5. Are there any limitations to creating Feynman diagrams in LaTeX?

While LaTeX is a powerful tool for creating Feynman diagrams, there are some limitations. For more complicated diagrams, you may need to use other software or programs. Additionally, creating diagrams in LaTeX requires some knowledge of the language and its syntax, so it may take some time to learn and perfect the process.