LaTex to Work With Symbolic Expressions

In summary, the interface discussed would have the basic functionality of defining variables and equations, substitutions, and solving in terms of a variable, but would be more natural to write and read in. It is possible that a site like Math Quill could be used for this, and it would be helpful to allow people to share and build off of what other people made on the site, as well as export it as code.
person123
TL;DR Summary
I'm curious if there's a tool out there to work with symbolic expressions (defining, substituting, solving), but with a natural display using LaTex as opposed to a coding language.
For many of the problems in my engineering courses (as well as other STEM courses and maybe even in industry), much of the work is in algebraic manipulation of equations. These problems could be solved using by using symbolic expressions in a coding language like MATLAB. However, it is very clunky to copy those equations over and write the code to solve the problems, is prone to mistakes, and is much more difficult for others to see the steps. Is there an interface which has the basic functionality (defining variables and equations, substitutions, and solving in terms of a variable), but is natural to write and read in? I was imagining using something like Math Quill so the user can write the equations in directly. If it were a site, I think it would also be helpful to allow people to share and build off of what other people made on the site, and to allow people to export it as code.

Physics news on Phys.org
SymPy in a jupyter workbook?

Likes S.G. Janssens
SymPy does seem very neat. I was thinking of something a bit more like Desmos as used here (the graph part isn't relevant), but where you can also define and use systems of equations to solve for symbolically.

pasmith said:
SymPy in a jupyter workbook?
I would very much recommend that, too. It has very good documentation.

Maybe to add to this, it it worth mentioning that when execution speed becomes a problem (as it sometimes does, for me), you can use SymEngine.py to let SymPy use the computational power of SymEngine. This can indeed all be done from Jupyter notebooks, if you like.

I was actually thinking of something very similar to fxsolver (I just found it now) where you have common equations to choose from and you can also make your own (it also allows for unit conversions, which is something else I was thinking of). However, it seems fxsolver is difficult to build off of (the links would get very confusing if you started adding more equations for example).

I was thinking of something where you could define systems of equations and build off of them. Here would be a simple example for a projectile motion problem:
20210410_215057.jpg

1. What is LaTex and how can it be used to work with symbolic expressions?

LaTex is a typesetting language used for creating professional documents, particularly in fields such as mathematics, physics, and computer science. It can be used to work with symbolic expressions by using specific packages and commands that allow for the representation and manipulation of mathematical symbols and equations.

2. What are the advantages of using LaTex for working with symbolic expressions?

LaTex offers a wide range of benefits for working with symbolic expressions. It allows for the precise and consistent formatting of mathematical equations, making them easier to read and understand. It also has a large library of symbols and functions that can be used for complex mathematical expressions. Additionally, LaTex documents can be easily converted to other formats, such as PDF, without losing quality.

3. Can LaTex be used for both simple and complex symbolic expressions?

Yes, LaTex can be used for both simple and complex symbolic expressions. Its syntax allows for the representation and manipulation of equations of any level of complexity. It also offers various tools and packages specifically designed for working with more advanced mathematical concepts, such as matrices, calculus, and logic expressions.

4. Are there any resources available for learning how to use LaTex for working with symbolic expressions?

Yes, there are numerous resources available for learning how to use LaTex for working with symbolic expressions. Online tutorials, user forums, and documentation from the LaTex community can provide a comprehensive guide on how to use LaTex for mathematical expressions. There are also books and courses specifically focused on using LaTex for mathematical typesetting.

5. Can LaTex be used in collaboration with other software or programming languages for working with symbolic expressions?

Yes, LaTex can be integrated with other software and programming languages for working with symbolic expressions. For example, it can be used in conjunction with Mathematica or MATLAB for creating high-quality mathematical documents. It can also be used in combination with programming languages such as Python or R for generating and displaying mathematical equations in code.