Lattice parameter difference: PBE vs PBE-D3 functional

In summary, the difference in lattice parameters calculated with the PBE and PBE-D3 functionals is due to the inclusion of a dispersion correction term in the latter. The PBE-D3 functional takes into account dispersion forces, which can have a significant impact on the distance between atoms in a crystal lattice and result in lower lattice parameters.
Juanchotutata
Hi guys!

Does anyone know why the lattice parameters of a crystal calculated with PBE-D3 functional are lower than those calculated with PBE?

Thanks in advance! :)

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there!

As a scientist in the field of crystallography, I can provide some insight into your question. The difference in lattice parameters calculated with the PBE and PBE-D3 functionals can be attributed to the use of dispersion correction in the latter.

The PBE functional is a type of density functional theory (DFT) that does not take into account dispersion forces, which are the attractive forces between atoms caused by temporary dipoles. On the other hand, the PBE-D3 functional includes a dispersion correction term that takes into account these forces.

Dispersion forces can have a significant impact on the lattice parameters of a crystal, as they affect the distance between atoms in the crystal lattice. Including the dispersion correction in the calculation can result in a more accurate representation of the crystal structure, leading to lower lattice parameters.

I hope this helps clarify your question. Let me know if you have any further inquiries.

1. What is a lattice parameter difference?

A lattice parameter difference refers to the difference in the length or spacing of a crystal lattice between two different materials or conditions. It is an important measure in materials science and can affect the physical and chemical properties of a material.

2. What do PBE and PBE-D3 functionals stand for?

PBE stands for Perdew-Burke-Ernzerhof, which is a type of density functional theory (DFT) used in quantum mechanics calculations. PBE-D3 is a variation of PBE that includes corrections for dispersion forces, which are important for accurately modeling intermolecular interactions.

3. How do PBE and PBE-D3 differ in their treatment of lattice parameters?

PBE-D3 includes additional corrections for dispersion forces, which can affect the lattice parameters of a material. This can lead to differences in the predicted lattice parameters compared to PBE, which does not include these corrections.

4. Which functional should I use for my calculations?

The choice of functional depends on the specific system and properties being studied. PBE-D3 may be more accurate for systems with significant dispersion forces, while PBE may be more suitable for other types of materials. It is important to perform benchmark calculations and compare with experimental data to determine the best functional for a given system.

5. Are there other functionals that can be used to calculate lattice parameters?

Yes, there are many different types of functionals that can be used in DFT calculations, each with its own strengths and weaknesses. Some common ones include B3LYP, PBE0, and M06. It is important to understand the underlying theory and assumptions of each functional before selecting one for a particular calculation.