Launch Velocity for Satellite from Mt. Everest to Orbit Earth

• Thread starter cubejunkies
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rocket
In summary, the conversation discusses the necessary horizontal velocity for a satellite to be launched from the top of Mt. Everest in order to be placed in a circular orbit around the earth. The book reveals that the gravitational acceleration at the top of Mt. Everest is 9.77 m/s2 and the height of Mt. Everest is 8850 m. The group is unsure of how to approach the problem and asks for help in understanding the formula for orbital velocity and the forces involved. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to equate the centripetal force and gravitational force equations to solve for the orbital velocity.
cubejunkies
At what horizontal velocity would a satellite have to be launched from the top of Mt. Everest to be placed in a circular orbit around the earth?

The book earlier in the chapter provides two things relating to Mt. Everest:
1. g at the top of Mt. Everest is 9.77 m/s2
2. The top of Mt. Everest according to the book is 8850 m

Unfortunately, I honestly have no idea how to begin to do this problem, and all of my buddies in physics are as perplexed as I am.

Thank you to anyone who helps!
Anthony

Physics news on Phys.org
The circular orbital velocity of a satellite is?
If you know that, the answer is just of substitute and solve.

I don't understand what you mean... :/

just that, do you know the formula for orbital velocity of a satellite?

I don't, I don't believe our teacher ever went over anything like that and our book is super vague. What is the orbital velocity of a satellite equation?

Do you know why a satellite stays in orbit? It is in equilibrium between two forces. If you know what those two forces are then you need to know how to calculate their strength in order for them to be in equilibrium?

Well there's the force of gravity pulling inwards, but there's no such thingas centrifugation in terms of force so I have no idea

cubejunkies said:
I don't, I don't believe our teacher ever went over anything like that and our book is super vague. What is the orbital velocity of a satellite equation?

I won't tell you that, but you know that there's a centripetal force acting on the satellite caused by gravitation.
What is the magnitude of centripetal force in terms of m,v,r(r being Radius of earth+Height)? and magnitude of gravitational force according to Newton's law of gravitation?

Equate them ...
jumble with the equation until you get v that is the orbital velocity.

1. What is launch velocity for a satellite from Mt. Everest to orbit Earth?

The launch velocity for a satellite from Mt. Everest to orbit Earth depends on several factors such as the weight of the satellite, the altitude of Mt. Everest, and the desired orbit. However, on average, the launch velocity ranges from 7 to 8 kilometers per second.

2. Why is Mt. Everest a good location to launch a satellite from?

Mt. Everest is a good location to launch a satellite from because of its high altitude of 8,848 meters above sea level. This provides a higher starting point for the satellite, allowing for a lower launch velocity and less fuel consumption. Additionally, the rotation of the Earth at that latitude can also provide a slight boost to the satellite's velocity.

3. How does launch velocity affect the orbit of a satellite?

The launch velocity affects the orbit of a satellite in three ways: it determines the altitude of the orbit, the shape of the orbit, and the inclination of the orbit. A higher launch velocity can result in a higher orbit, a more elliptical orbit, and a greater inclination angle.

4. Can a satellite be launched from Mt. Everest to orbit Earth without assistance?

No, a satellite cannot be launched from Mt. Everest to orbit Earth without assistance. Even with the high altitude and rotation of the Earth, the launch velocity required to reach orbit is still too high to be achieved solely by the satellite. Rockets are necessary to provide the additional thrust and velocity needed for the satellite to reach orbit.

5. How does the launch velocity from Mt. Everest compare to other launch sites?

The launch velocity from Mt. Everest is generally higher than other launch sites due to its high altitude. For example, the launch velocity from Cape Canaveral in Florida, USA is around 9.7 kilometers per second, while the launch velocity from Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan is around 9.4 kilometers per second. However, the launch velocity for a specific satellite and orbit will vary depending on the launch site and other factors.