Laurent series of z^2sin(1/(z-1))

In summary, Laurent series can be represented as sums of two or more terms, with coefficients that vary depending on the even-odd case.
Arya Prasetya

Homework Statement

Find Laurent series of $$z^2sin(\frac{1}{1-z})$$ at $$0<\lvert z-1 \rvert<\infty$$

Homework Equations

sine series expansion.

The Attempt at a Solution

At first, it seems pretty elementary since you can set
[tex] w=\frac{1}{z-1} [/tex] and expand at infinity in z, which is 0 in w. Therefore, $$z^2sin(\frac{1}{z-1})=(\frac{1}{w^2}+\frac{2}{w}+1)sin(w)$$
$$=(\frac{1}{w^2}+\frac{2}{w}+1)\sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{(-1)^nw^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!}$$
$$=\sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{(-1)^nw^{2n-1}}{(2n+1)!}+2\sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{(-1)^nw^{2n}}{(2n+1)!}+\sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{(-1)^nw^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!}$$

But now, I am having troubles adjusting the sums so that the coefficients coincide into one series. The problem I have right now is the change of indices. I believe it is possible to do it for the 1st and 3rd term so that it becomes one. However, It might be impossible incorporating the term contributing to even powers of the w into one sum. Is it the case that Laurent series is able to be represented as 2 or more sums and have its coefficient on an even-odd case basis? Have I done something wrong?

Looking forward for the help and thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Arya Prasetya said:

Homework Statement

Find Laurent series of $$z^2sin(\frac{1}{1-z})$$ at $$0<\lvert z-1 \rvert<\infty$$

Homework Equations

sine series expansion.

The Attempt at a Solution

At first, it seems pretty elementary since you can set
[tex] w=\frac{1}{z-1} [/tex] and expand at infinity in z, which is 0 in w. Therefore, $$z^2sin(\frac{1}{z-1})=(\frac{1}{w^2}+\frac{2}{w}+1)sin(w)$$
$$=(\frac{1}{w^2}+\frac{2}{w}+1)\sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{(-1)^nw^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!}$$
$$=\sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{(-1)^nw^{2n-1}}{(2n+1)!}+2\sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{(-1)^nw^{2n}}{(2n+1)!}+\sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{(-1)^nw^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!}$$

But now, I am having troubles adjusting the sums so that the coefficients coincide into one series. The problem I have right now is the change of indices. I believe it is possible to do it for the 1st and 3rd term so that it becomes one. However, It might be impossible incorporating the term contributing to even powers of the w into one sum. Is it the case that Laurent series is able to be represented as 2 or more sums and have its coefficient on an even-odd case basis? Have I done something wrong?

Looking forward for the help and thanks in advance.
It often helps to write down a couple of terms, say from ##w^{-1}## to ##w^3##. Another possibility is to introduce new counters: ##m=2n-1## in the first series, ##m=2n## in the second, and ##m=2n+1## in the third. The second has only even powers, and the first and third have only odd powers, so they can be added. You'll get an extra term for ##w^{-1}## which occurs only once. In the end you'll get something like
$$
a_{-1}w^{-1} + \sum_{m \;even}a_mw^m + \sum_{m \;odd}a_mw^m
$$
which results in ##\sum_{m \geq -1}a_mw^m## with ##a_m =
\begin{cases}
\ldots & \text{if } m = -1 \\
\ldots & \text{if } m \geq 0 \text{ and } m \text{ odd } \\
\ldots & \text{if } m \geq 0 \text{ and } m \text{ even }
\end{cases}##

Ahh ok, got it got it, that's what I thought. Thanks for the insight! :)

1. What is a Laurent series?

A Laurent series is a representation of a complex function as an infinite sum of power terms, including both positive and negative powers of the variable. It is similar to a Taylor series, but allows for poles and essential singularities in the function.

2. What is the center of the Laurent series for z^2sin(1/(z-1))?

The center of the Laurent series for z^2sin(1/(z-1)) is at z = 1, since that is the location of the singularity in the function 1/(z-1).

3. What are the coefficients in the Laurent series for z^2sin(1/(z-1))?

The coefficients in the Laurent series for z^2sin(1/(z-1)) are calculated by taking the derivatives of the function at the center (z = 1) and dividing by the corresponding powers of (z-1). For example, the coefficient for the term (z-1)^-1 would be (1/(z-1))' = -1/(z-1)^2.

4. How do you determine the radius of convergence for the Laurent series of z^2sin(1/(z-1))?

The radius of convergence for the Laurent series of z^2sin(1/(z-1)) is determined by the distance from the center (z = 1) to the nearest singularity of the function, which in this case is also at z = 1. Therefore, the radius of convergence is 0 and the series only converges at the center point.

5. Can the Laurent series of z^2sin(1/(z-1)) be used to evaluate the function at points outside the radius of convergence?

No, the Laurent series for z^2sin(1/(z-1)) only converges at the center point (z = 1), so it cannot be used to evaluate the function at points outside of its radius of convergence. In fact, the series will diverge at any point other than the center due to the singularity at z = 1.