Laws of Motion for New Lagrangian: Partial Differential Equations

In summary: Right i forgot that and also ##-\beta## factors on both sides while focusing on the other stuff. A question i have involving the LHS is:Doesmean the same as? Cuz then wouldn't that bit simplify to ##-2\beta A_\alpha## as...well...as expected?
Maniac_XOX
TL;DR Summary
Is it possible to simplify this complicated equation??
$$\partial^\beta F_{\beta\alpha} +\partial^\beta A_\mu A^\mu \delta^\alpha_\sigma \delta^\rho_\beta+\mu^2 A_\alpha = 2A_\mu (\partial_\rho A^\rho) +\frac {4\pi}{c}J_\alpha$$

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't have the same free indices on each of your terms. There are three free indices on the second one on the left and you have a free ##\mu## instead of ##\alpha## in the first term on the right. Correct your typos and we may be able to help.

Likes Maniac_XOX
Ibix said:
You don't have the same free indices on each of your terms. There are three free indices on the second one on the left and you have a free ##\mu## instead of ##\alpha## in the first term on the right. Correct your typos and we may be able to help.
Hmm you're right, the complicated part where i most def went wrong was finding the euler lagrange equation $$\partial^\beta \frac{\partial L}{\partial(\partial^\beta A^\alpha)}=\frac {\partial L}{\partial A^\alpha}$$
to the following section of the lagrangina i used: ##-\beta A_\mu A^\mu (\partial_\rho A^\rho)##

Need help finding the answer to this.

I found that $$\partial^\beta \frac{\partial L}{\partial(\partial^\beta A^\alpha)}=\partial^\beta(-\beta A_\mu A^\mu \delta^\alpha_\sigma \delta^\rho_\beta)$$

and also that $$\frac {\partial L}{\partial A^\alpha}= -2\beta A_\alpha (\partial_\rho A^\rho) $$

Could u help me out?

Maniac_XOX said:
I found that ∂β∂L∂(∂βAα)=∂β(−βAμAμδσαδβρ)
This is quite obviously wrong as you do not have the same free indices on both sides. Can you find your error and/or tell us how you arrive at this?

Orodruin said:
This is quite obviously wrong as you do not have the same free indices on both sides. Can you find your error and/or tell us how you arrive at this?
hello yeah i realized actually, I've come to the right equation being $$\partial^\beta(A_\mu A^\mu g_{\rho\sigma} \delta^\sigma_\beta \delta^\rho_\alpha)=(\partial_\rho A^\rho) g_{\mu\gamma} (\delta_\alpha^\gamma A^\mu + A^\gamma \delta^\mu_\alpha)$$ from euler lagrange $$\partial^\beta \frac{\partial L}{\partial(\partial^\beta A^\alpha)}=\frac {\partial L}{\partial A^\alpha}$$
When put inside the whole complete equation it becomes:
$$\partial^\beta F_{\beta\alpha} + \partial^\beta(A_\mu A^\mu g_{\rho\sigma} \delta^\sigma_\beta \delta^\rho_\alpha) + \mu^2 A_\alpha =(\partial_\rho A^\rho) g_{\mu\gamma} (\delta_\alpha^\gamma A^\mu + A^\gamma \delta^\mu_\alpha) + \frac {4\pi}{c} J_\alpha$$
Can you help me simplify this?

Last edited:
I would start by using the summation properties of the Kronecker delta.

I'd move the ##g_{\mu\lambda}## inside the bracket before following Orodruin's advice.

Ibix said:
I'd move the ##g_{\mu\lambda}## inside the bracket before following Orodruin's advice.
Orodruin said:
I would start by using the summation properties of the Kronecker delta.
Okay so I've tried lowering the indices on the right hand side and using the property $$g_{\mu\gamma}g^{\mu\nu}=\delta^\nu_\gamma$$
therefore on the right hand side I get
$$(\partial_\rho A^\rho) (\delta_\gamma^\nu \delta_\alpha^\gamma A_\nu + \delta_\gamma^\lambda \delta^\mu_\alpha A_\lambda) + \frac {4\pi}{c} J_\alpha$$
which should be able to simplify as:
$$(\partial_\rho A^\rho) (\delta_\alpha^\nu A_\nu + \delta_\gamma^\lambda \delta^\mu_\alpha A_\lambda) + \frac {4\pi}{c} J_\alpha$$

Is this correct? If so how do i go from there?

The point is that ##g_{\mu\gamma}\delta^\gamma_\alpha=g_{\mu\alpha}##.

Ibix said:
The point is that ##g_{\mu\gamma}\delta^\gamma_\alpha=g_{\mu\alpha}##.
OH i get it, so i should be getting this$$\partial^\beta F_{\beta\alpha} + \partial^\beta(A_\mu A^\mu g_{\rho\beta} \delta^\rho_\alpha) + \mu^2 A_\alpha =(\partial_\rho A^\rho) (g_{\mu\alpha} A^\mu + g_{\gamma\alpha} A^\gamma) + \frac {4\pi}{c} J_\alpha$$which finally becomes$$\partial^\beta F_{\beta\alpha} + \partial^\beta(A_\mu A^\mu g_{\alpha\beta}) + \mu^2 A_\alpha = (A_\alpha + A_\alpha) + \frac {4\pi}{c} J_\alpha$$
so then the right hand side becomes ##2A_\alpha + \frac {4\pi}{c} J_\alpha## ?

You seem to have lost a ##\partial_\rho A^\rho## on the right hand side. Otherwise, yes.

Ibix said:
You seem to have lost a ##\partial_\rho A^\rho## on the right hand side. Otherwise, yes.
Right i forgot that and also ##-\beta## factors on both sides while focusing on the other stuff. A question i have involving the LHS is:
Does ##\partial^\beta(-\beta \times g_{\alpha\beta}A_\mu A^\mu)##
mean the same as $$\frac {\partial (-\beta \times g_{\alpha\beta}A_\mu A^\mu)}{\partial A^\beta}$$ ? Cuz then wouldn't that bit simplify to ##-2\beta A_\alpha## as well?

1. What are the basic principles of the Laws of Motion for New Lagrangian?

The Laws of Motion for New Lagrangian are based on the principle of least action, which states that the motion of a system is determined by minimizing the action integral. This is achieved by solving the Euler-Lagrange equations, which are a set of partial differential equations.

2. How do the Laws of Motion for New Lagrangian differ from classical mechanics?

The Laws of Motion for New Lagrangian are an extension of classical mechanics, which only considers systems with a single degree of freedom. The New Lagrangian approach allows for the consideration of systems with multiple degrees of freedom, making it more applicable to complex systems.

3. What is the significance of partial differential equations in the Laws of Motion for New Lagrangian?

Partial differential equations play a crucial role in the Laws of Motion for New Lagrangian as they are used to describe the motion of a system with multiple degrees of freedom. These equations are derived from the Lagrangian function, which takes into account the kinetic and potential energy of the system.

4. How do the Laws of Motion for New Lagrangian apply to real-world systems?

The Laws of Motion for New Lagrangian can be applied to a wide range of real-world systems, including mechanical, electrical, and fluid systems. They provide a more comprehensive understanding of the behavior of these systems and can be used to predict their future motion.

5. What are some practical applications of the Laws of Motion for New Lagrangian?

The Laws of Motion for New Lagrangian have many practical applications, such as in engineering and physics research. They can be used to design and optimize systems, analyze the stability of structures, and study the dynamics of complex systems. They are also used in fields such as robotics, aerospace engineering, and astrophysics.