How Many Layers of Aluminum Foil Are Needed for a Resonant Cavity?

In summary, the speakers discussed building a resonant cavity for playing with frequencies around 100-700 mhz. The idea was to use a cheap, malleable material like aluminum foil, but it was suggested to use brass tubes for support instead. The issue of the cavity being resonant at different frequencies was also brought up. The thickness of the foil and the skin depth were calculated, but it was noted that the real problem would be ensuring the inside of the cavity is electrically continuous and sturdy. The conversation ended with the question of how to calculate the necessary support for the cavity.
kiutukri
I want to build a Resonant Cavity to play with frequencies around 100-700 mhz. I'd like to try different shapes, so I was thinking in using a cheap malleable material like aluminum foil.

Questions:

- I think one layer of aluminum foil might be too thin.. If I paste a couple of layers will do the job?

- How to calculate the thickness?

Many thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
kiutukri said:
I want to build a Resonant Cavity to play with frequencies around 100-700 mhz.

so you really want to build a whole bunch of cavities ?
you do realize that a cavity resonant at 100 MHz isn't going to be resonant at 200 MHz, 500 MHz or 700 MHz etc

Do you also realize how big a resonant cavity is at 100 MHz ?
just an approximate ... one for 146 MHz is around 3-4 ft long and ~ 5 inches in diameter

kiutukri said:
so I was thinking in using a cheap malleable material like aluminium foil.

So what were you going to put the foil against for support ? ( one layer from an RF point of view would be ok)
Brass tubes are the commonly used method for cavities. Have used 100's of commercial ones over the years
for VHF - UHF repeater installationsThere's lots of design info on google ... have some fun learning about them :smile:Dave

davenn said:
so you really want to build a whole bunch of cavities ?
you do realize that a cavity resonant at 100 MHz isn't going to be resonant at 200 MHz, 500 MHz or 700 MHz etc

Do you also realize how big a resonant cavity is at 100 MHz ?
just an approximate ... one for 146 MHz is around 3-4 ft long and ~ 5 inches in diameter
So what were you going to put the foil against for support ? ( one layer from an RF point of view would be ok)
Brass tubes are the commonly used method for cavities. Have used 100's of commercial ones over the years
for VHF - UHF repeater installationsThere's lots of design info on google ... have some fun learning about them :smile:Dave

Hi, Dave,
Thank you for your answer. I'll start building just one then I'll see.
Yes I do realize, that's one of the reasons I want to use a flexible material so I can fold it when I'm not using it. I'm planning to use wood as support, like a canvas frame.

What about my questions?

- I think one layer of aluminum foil might be too thin.. If I paste a couple of layers will do the job?
- How to calculate the thickness?

Thanks.

Very thin. Search "skin depth" and calculate it--you can let us know what you find.

You'll have a much bigger problem with the seams, because of the insulating oxide layer on aluminum. Use copper foil instead and solder the seams to get good conductivity all around.

Likes davenn
marcusl said:
You'll have a much bigger problem with the seams, because of the insulating oxide layer on aluminum. Use copper foil instead and solder the seams to get good conductivity all around.

yup agree totally ... the inside of the cavity cannot have any breaks in the surface ... it must be electrically continuous

kiutukri said:
Yes I do realize, that's one of the reasons I want to use a flexible material so I can fold it when I'm not using it. I'm planning to use wood as support, like a canvas frame.

I really don't think that is going to be feasible. The cavities need to be sturdy because any variations will cause changes in the resonance of the cavity

Dave

marcusl said:
Very thin. Search "skin depth" and calculate it--you can let us know what you find.

Hi Marcus,

Thank you for your awesome answer.

I've found this online calculator http://www.rfcafe.com/references/calculators/skin-depth-calculator.htm

According to this, using Copper, for 100 mhz I'll only need a skin depth of: 6.54 μmeters or 257.59 μinches. A thickness of 0.006543 mm sounds totally doable to me.

Even aluminum could do it: 8.19 μmeters, 0.00819 mm. The thickness of a standard aluminum foil is 0.016 mm

I am doing something wrong? o_O

kiutukri said:
According to this, using Copper, for 100 mhz I'll only need a skin depth of: 6.54 μmeters or 257.59 μinches. A thickness of 0.006543 mm sounds totally doable to me.

Even aluminum could do it: 8.19 μmeters, 0.00819 mm. The thickness of a standard aluminum foil is 0.016 mm

yes, skin depth and the thickness of the aluminium foil isn't a problem and it isn't YOUR problem

Your problem lies in the last part of my last post, which you have yet to acknowledgeDave

davenn said:
yes, skin depth and the thickness of the aluminium foil isn't a problem and it isn't YOUR problem

Your problem lies in the last part of my last post, which you have yet to acknowledgeDave

Is there any way to calculate that?

kiutukri said:
Is there any way to calculate that?

why, there's no need ... you already have done so anyway

and as I said, it isn't the problem you need to solve ... you problem is going to be all mechanical

1. What is a resonant cavity?

A resonant cavity is a structure that is designed to enhance the resonance of electromagnetic waves. It is typically made up of two or more conductive surfaces, such as metal plates or mirrors, that are separated by a certain distance and form an enclosed space. This space allows for the formation of standing waves, which are essential for resonant behavior.

2. What are layers in a resonant cavity?

Layers in a resonant cavity refer to the different materials or structures that make up the cavity. These layers can include the inner walls of the cavity, which are usually highly reflective to allow for the formation of standing waves, as well as any additional layers that may be added to enhance the resonant behavior of the cavity.

3. How do layers affect the resonance of a cavity?

The number and type of layers in a resonant cavity can greatly affect its resonance. The location, thickness, and material properties of each layer can impact the strength and frequency of the standing waves within the cavity. Layers can also be strategically placed to adjust the resonant frequency of the cavity and create a more precise resonance.

4. What is the purpose of layers in a resonant cavity?

The purpose of layers in a resonant cavity is to enhance the resonance of the cavity. By controlling the placement and properties of the layers, scientists and engineers can manipulate the behavior of the cavity and create a more efficient resonator. Layers can also be used to filter out unwanted frequencies and improve the selectivity of the cavity.

5. Can layers be added or removed from a resonant cavity?

Yes, layers can be added or removed from a resonant cavity to adjust its resonant behavior. By adding or removing layers, scientists and engineers can change the resonant frequency, selectivity, and efficiency of the cavity. This allows for a more precise control over the behavior of the cavity and its use in various applications.