Learn Euler's Method for Pendulum Simulation | Excel Tutorial

This means that to determine the value of Theta Dot, you need to know the initial value of Theta Dot, as well as the acceleration of the pendulum at that time. The link provided gives instructions on how to set up an Excel file to simulate a pendulum, but it does not explicitly state how to calculate the acceleration. However, it is likely that the formula for acceleration can be found in a physics textbook or through a quick internet search. Once you have the formula for acceleration, you can use Euler's method to calculate the value of Theta Dot at each time step. In summary, to determine the correct value of Theta Dot for your pendulum simulation in Excel, you will need to use Euler's method and the formula for acceleration.
max1992
This is not part of my homework, but it can make my life much easier. I try to prepare the Excel file as instructed in the link, but I can not find information on how to get the correct value of Theta Dot.

http://www.esm.psu.edu/courses/emch12/IntDyn/course-docs/Euler-tutorial/

I'm sorry that I ask the question, but I do not have classes in physics, and one of my teachers requires us to prepare a program imitating a pendulum. This excel I would like to be treated as a base, which later I move to the code.

My question: What formula I should try to generate value assigned to a cell Theta Dot? I can not find it in the link, which I have enclosed.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
According to Euler's method,
$$\dot{\theta}_{(t+\Delta t)}=\dot{\theta}_{t}+\ddot{\theta}_t\Delta t$$

1. What is Euler's method?

Euler's method is a mathematical algorithm used to approximate the solution of a differential equation by breaking it into smaller steps.

2. How does Euler's method work for pendulum simulation?

Euler's method can be used to numerically solve the differential equations that describe the motion of a pendulum. By breaking the equations into smaller time intervals, the position and velocity of the pendulum can be calculated at each step, allowing for a simulation of its motion.

3. Can I use Excel for pendulum simulation using Euler's method?

Yes, Excel can be used to implement Euler's method for pendulum simulation. The equations can be programmed into cells and the calculations can be automated to simulate the motion of the pendulum.

4. What are the advantages of using Euler's method for pendulum simulation?

Euler's method is a simple and straightforward algorithm that can be easily implemented in Excel. It also allows for a visual representation of the pendulum's motion, which can aid in understanding the underlying mathematics.

5. Are there any limitations to using Euler's method for pendulum simulation?

Euler's method is a first-order approximation, which means that it may not be accurate for complex or highly non-linear systems. It also requires a small time step size to achieve accurate results, which can be computationally expensive for long simulations.