Learn How to Write Papers & Essays: Tips from the Experts

• Studying
  • Thread starter exponent137
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Papers Tips
In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of academic writing for graduate students and the need for resources and courses to improve writing skills. The recommendation is to read prolifically, find a good mentor, practice writing and seek feedback, and use online resources. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using Google Translate for scientific writing and the existence of academic editorial services.
exponent137
I found one example how to write papers etc. http://www.ncl.ac.uk/students/wdc/learning/
Is it still something like this?
Is it something more oriented to physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
By the time you're ready to write a paper, you should be intimately familiar with the format and style of the journal you intend to publish in. That's because in order to be ready to write a paper, you need to be reading papers - a lot of them.

That said I think just about all graduate students should take advantage of workshops, courses, resources etc. on academic writing, because writing is a critical skill for someone hoping to do well in academia. I know - a person's scientific achievements should stand on the merit of the work itself. But the fact of the matter is that if you struggle to communicate your ideas, if people find your papers challenging to understand because of the writing, it will be a challenge to get it published at all, and when it gets published it won't get the attention it warrants.

Likes exponent137
Choppy said:
By the time you're ready to write a paper, you should be intimately familiar with the format and style of the journal you intend to publish in. That's because in order to be ready to write a paper, you need to be reading papers - a lot of them.

That said I think just about all graduate students should take advantage of workshops, courses, resources etc. on academic writing, because writing is a critical skill for someone hoping to do well in academia. I know - a person's scientific achievements should stand on the merit of the work itself. But the fact of the matter is that if you struggle to communicate your ideas, if people find your papers challenging to understand because of the writing, it will be a challenge to get it published at all, and when it gets published it won't get the attention it warrants.

What recommendations would you give to an undergraduate student to prepare himself to publish papers by the time he reaches graduate school ?

Because there is a number of courses, I suppose that it is possible to find also something also on internet, maybe even specialized for physics.
Is it still something on internet?

It would be useful some option of google translate only for science writing. But this is for future.

Maths Absorber said:
What recommendations would you give to an undergraduate student to prepare himself to publish papers by the time he reaches graduate school ?
  1. Read prolifically. Read as much as you can, specifically within your intended field of study if you have one. This can be difficult at first because you have to struggle to learn both jargon and the context of the work.
  2. Find a good mentor. Students tend to pick up a lot from their supervisors including style and habits. Sometimes your choice is limited, but to the extent you have control over it, look for people who both do high quality work and are able to explain it well.
  3. Practice. With any project you do it's a good idea to write it up in scientific format, whether you eventually publish it or not. Write up your literature review. Clearly define the goals of your project. Write out your methods and place them in context of what's currently being done in the field. Do up professional looking graphs. Sometimes, all you may be doing is some personal benchmarking of a code, or reproducing someone else's results - work that is not in and of itself publishable, but you never know when you'll need to draw on those results for a paper down the road. This also helps you to organize information.
  4. Seek feedback on your writing (and offer it to others). Sometimes you can learn a lot just from peer-review.
  5. Practice writing professionally in most things you do - even posting on internet forums.

Likes russ_watters
exponent137 said:
Because there is a number of courses, I suppose that it is possible to find also something also on internet, maybe even specialized for physics.
Is it still something on internet?

It would be useful some option of google translate only for science writing. But this is for future.

Well, apparently there are cases where AIs have successfully submitted papers to conferences!

I don't know of anything specific online, but I'm sure they're out there if you look for them. I know there are academic editorial services out there, but probably not much that's free.

Related to Learn How to Write Papers & Essays: Tips from the Experts

1. How can I improve my writing skills for papers and essays?

To improve your writing skills, it is important to practice regularly and seek feedback from peers or instructors. You can also read and analyze well-written papers and essays to see what techniques and styles are effective. Additionally, familiarize yourself with the specific guidelines and expectations for the type of paper or essay you are writing.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when writing papers and essays?

Some common mistakes to avoid include not following the given instructions or format, using overly complex language or jargon, and not properly citing sources. It is also important to proofread your work for spelling and grammar errors, and to ensure that your ideas are clearly and logically presented.

3. How can I effectively organize my ideas and arguments in a paper or essay?

One effective way to organize your ideas is to create an outline before you begin writing. This will help you identify the main points you want to make and the evidence or examples you will use to support them. You can also use transitional phrases to guide the reader through your arguments and make connections between paragraphs.

4. How do I find reliable sources for my paper or essay?

To find reliable sources, start by looking at academic databases and reputable websites. You can also consult with a librarian or your instructor for suggestions. Be sure to evaluate the credibility of sources by considering the author's credentials, the publication date, and any biases that may be present.

5. How can I make my paper or essay stand out from others?

To make your paper or essay stand out, try to find a unique angle or perspective on the topic. You can also use vivid and descriptive language to engage the reader and make your writing more interesting. Additionally, make sure to thoroughly revise and edit your work to ensure it is polished and error-free.