Resources for learning more about Navier-Stokes Equations

In summary, the books/resources you mentioned don't go over Laplace's tidal equations in-depth, but they are a good starting point for understanding how the equations work.
JungleKing
Summary: I'm looking to learn more about the Navier Stokes Equations and Laplace's Tidal Equations. Do you know of any books/resources/ problems I can go over to learn how they work.

I've studied physics and math in school and I'm looking to learn more about fluid mechanics and Laplace's Tidal equations. Ideally, I'm looking for any resources that go over the fundamentals of how they work and how to apply them to real-world examples. This can be books, websites, journals, papers, professors, or anyone that has produced content that gives an introduction and thorough example of how they work.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a college textbook on Fluid Mechanics but from the index there is no explicit mention of Laplace Tidal Equations only Laplace Equations.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/book/9780123821003/fluid-mechanics

Likes JungleKing and vanhees71
jedishrfu said:
Here's a college textbook on Fluid Mechanics but from the index there is no explicit mention of Laplace Tidal Equations only Laplace Equations.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/book/9780123821003/fluid-mechanics

That's actually a very good book, one of the authors (Pijush Kundu) of which was concerned with oceanoghraphics. So it does contain some references to tidal waves and shallow waves and it is a good introduction to fluid mechanics all together. But it does not contain Laplace's tidal equations.

you also have Lighthill's 'Waves in Fluids', which contains a lot of information about waves, but AFAIK again not the one you are looking for.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521010454/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Lastly there is also the book "Wave Motion" from Billingham and King, which again contains lots of stuff about waves, also shallow water and tidal waves. But, again AFAIK no explicit mention of Laplace's tidal equations.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016MYWPOQ/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Check "Hydrodynamics" by Horace Lamb.

Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot

Likes bigfooted and vanhees71
Last edited by a moderator:
Likes jedishrfu

What are Navier-Stokes Equations?

Navier-Stokes Equations are a set of partial differential equations that describe the motion of a fluid. They are used in fluid mechanics to model and predict the behavior of fluids, such as air and water.

Why are Navier-Stokes Equations important?

Navier-Stokes Equations are important because they provide a mathematical framework for understanding and predicting fluid flow. They are used in a wide range of fields, including aerospace engineering, meteorology, and oceanography.

Where can I find resources for learning more about Navier-Stokes Equations?

There are many resources available for learning more about Navier-Stokes Equations. Some options include textbooks, online courses, and research papers. You can also attend workshops or conferences on fluid mechanics.

What are some common applications of Navier-Stokes Equations?

Navier-Stokes Equations are used in many practical applications, such as designing aircraft and ships, predicting weather patterns, and understanding ocean currents. They are also used in the development of new technologies, such as wind turbines and fuel cells.

Are there any limitations to Navier-Stokes Equations?

While Navier-Stokes Equations are a powerful tool for modeling fluid flow, they do have some limitations. They assume that fluids are continuous and do not take into account microscopic effects, such as turbulence and molecular interactions. They also require simplifications and assumptions to be made in order to be solved, which may not always accurately reflect real-world scenarios.