Learning American English for Computer Science

In summary: American English.Learn languages in order to communicate with people! Or if you only have access to English books - depends on where you study. If I'd studied in Russia, I'd rather learn Russian than...American English.
bagasme
Hello,

When using computer programs (such as Microsoft Office), the default User Interface (UI) language is American English. Since this variant of English is common on computer programs, should I learn American English as ESL for Computer Science?

Cheers, Bagas

Physics news on Phys.org
If it should happen you end up in France, this won't be of any help.

Computer Science is a science like all the others: best learned in your native language. Papers, and a couple of books will be in English, but normally you learn the amount of language needed anyway. The gui language of any product is completely irrelevant and can easily be changed, at least with serious products.

I have seen an IDE where statements like
IF a <> 0 ALORS a++ ELSE a-- FIN
are possible.

It is always a good idea to learn as many languages as possible, and especially English since most people understand it at least a bit. But it is not a requirement to study a certain subject, any subject, if the university uses another language.

fresh_42 said:
If it should happen you end up in France, this won't be of any help.

Computer Science is a science like all the others: best learned in your native language. Papers, and a couple of books will be in English, but normally you learn the amount of language needed anyway. The gui language of any product is completely irrelevant and can easily be changed, at least with serious products.

I have seen an IDE where statements like
IF a <> 0 ALORS a++ ELSE a-- FIN
are possible.

It is always a good idea to learn as many languages as possible, and especially English since most people understand it at least a bit. But it is not a requirement to study a certain subject, any subject, if the university uses another language.

So should I learn American English for it is the most used UI language in computer programs?

OK, thank you for anyone that move this thread to Academic Guidance forum.

bagasme said:
So should I learn American English for it is the most used UI language in computer programs?

No, because you can use it on half of the globe to communicate.

The language option of software is completely irrelevant, not of interest. It can a) be changed and b) has only a handful of words for commands. Learn the words for the software and the language to travel!

fresh_42 said:
No, because you can use it on half of the globe to communicate.

The language option of software is completely irrelevant, not of interest. It can a) be changed and b) has only a handful of words for commands. Learn the words for the software and the language to travel!

Seems like your statement is contradict to the answer of my similar question on Quora forum:
Since most programming languages use American English as their base, it would probably help you, yes. The syntax of the code uses American English (think of the [color] tag in HTML), and most on-line manuals are written in English (here, the flavour of English chosen won’t stop you reading and understanding it). I expect translations are available, though I’ve never looked myself, but the English version will be out first, and translations are never as good as the real thing.
Note that the answer above is in the context of programming languages, but can be applied to using programs.

bagasme said:
Seems like your statement is contradict to the answer of my similar question on Quora forum:

Note that the answer above is in the context of programming languages, but can be applied to using programs.
Why? The first line was "Strictly speaking it is not necessary."

That's what I said. It depends e.g. on the amount of books available in your native language. If there are none, then you will probably use English books. If there are, then use your native language. I also said that articles in journals ("papers") will be in English. None of it has to do with a user interface. So in order to study something, then it is the best to use the language which is used at the university. You will have to understand them! Then comes english. But tech speak is often different from speaking the language. It also makes a difference whether you want to understand a textbook for your study which is written in English, or whether you want to understand Shakespeare.

A programming language only uses a couple of words. They are quickly learned and it has nothing to do with the language itself. You will automatically learn a bit english. And for the science this could be sufficient.

Learn languages in order to communicate with people! Or if you only have access to English books - depends on where you study. If I'd studied in Russia, I'd rather learn Russian than English.

fresh_42 makes his points well enough. The difference in value between American English and some other like British English as applied to computers or computer science or computer programming is largely meaningless.

1. What are the benefits of learning American English for computer science?

Learning American English for computer science can greatly improve your communication skills in the field. It can also help you understand technical terms and jargon used in American computer science publications and conferences.

2. How can I improve my American English for computer science?

One of the best ways to improve your American English for computer science is to practice regularly by reading and listening to American English materials, and engaging in conversations with native speakers. You can also take courses specifically focused on American English for computer science.

3. Are there any specific vocabulary words I should focus on when learning American English for computer science?

Yes, there are many specific vocabulary words related to computer science that are commonly used in American English. Some examples include algorithms, programming languages, data structures, and software development methodologies. It is important to familiarize yourself with these terms to effectively communicate in the field.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong grasp of American English for computer science to be successful in the field?

While having a strong grasp of American English can certainly be beneficial, it is not a requirement for success in the field of computer science. Many non-native English speakers have made significant contributions to the field and are highly respected for their technical skills and knowledge.

5. Are there any online resources available for learning American English for computer science?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning American English for computer science. Some examples include online courses, language exchange programs, and language learning apps. It is important to choose a resource that fits your learning style and goals.