Learning Maths & Science: My Journey From High School to Now

In summary: I've been wanting to learn more maths and science for a while now since I was decent at them in HS but I started to run into deeper personal problems later in my HS career and peaked my first year at a community college and I ended up dropping out. But I've cleaned up my lifestyle a bit recently and just started trying to read up on physics,maths,computer science etc. I am really just doing this stuff for fun since I have no more friends due to cleaning up my lifestyle and have a lot of time on my hands so I'm not in school or anything. Looking forward to learning a lot and gaining some skills.:oldsmile:In summary, this person has been wanting to learn more maths
College drop out
I've been wanting to learn more maths and science for a while now since I was decent at them in HS but I started to run into deeper personal problems later in my HS career and peaked my first year at a community college and I ended up dropping out. But I've cleaned up my lifestyle a bit recently and just started trying to read up on physics,maths,computer science etc. I am really just doing this stuff for fun since I have no more friends due to cleaning up my lifestyle and have a lot of time on my hands so I'm not in school or anything. Looking forward to learning a lot and gaining some skills.:oldsmile:

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, hope you enjoy the community.
Oh! and congrats on cleaning things up, it can be tough at times.

Likes berkeman
Welcome to the PF. Are you considering returning to Community College? :smile:

Ya I have no idea what I want to do though. Alot of people are recommending trades to me but I don't really have an interest in any that I know of.

College drop out said:
Ya I have no idea what I want to do though. Alot of people are recommending trades to me but I don't really have an interest in any that I know of.

About 40 years ago I hired a fellow in his 20's to do Thermal Analysis and Energy Usage of buildings. He was just finishing a night school course on the subject and the instructor suggested that we talk to the fellow. He worked out quite well... even though his previous job was with a company that went around to restaurants and such to clean and disinfect the restrooms. So you really do have a wide range of choices. Was there anything you were interested in when in high school (other than getting out of classes)?

College drop out said:
I've been wanting to learn more maths and science for a while now since I was decent at them in HS but I started to run into deeper personal problems later in my HS career and peaked my first year at a community college and I ended up dropping out. But I've cleaned up my lifestyle a bit recently and just started trying to read up on physics,maths,computer science etc. I am really just doing this stuff for fun since I have no more friends due to cleaning up my lifestyle and have a lot of time on my hands so I'm not in school or anything. Looking forward to learning a lot and gaining some skills.:oldsmile:
Here's a list of links I like to mention in cases which concern self-study. I think they're worth a read and it also has a link to a website with recommendable free books:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/self-teaching-gcse-and-a-level-maths.933639/#post-5896947

Tom.G said:
About 40 years ago I hired a fellow in his 20's to do Thermal Analysis and Energy Usage of buildings. He was just finishing a night school course on the subject and the instructor suggested that we talk to the fellow. He worked out quite well... even though his previous job was with a company that went around to restaurants and such to clean and disinfect the restrooms. So you really do have a wide range of choices. Was there anything you were interested in when in high school (other than getting out of classes)?
I liked biology and chemistry a lot and also the algebras I grew to love do to an amazing teacher.

College drop out said:
I liked biology and chemistry a lot and also the algebras I grew to love do to an amazing teacher.
That's a good variety! The first two, Biology and Chemistry, are rather large industries/fields with lots of room, and even overlapping needs if you want to combine them. The algebra would be needed in either of them.

Mathematics seems to have somewhat limited prospects by itself. Hard to find folks that will pay for Mathematics research. (but there may be some Mathematicians here that would disagree.)

1. What inspired you to pursue a career in maths and science?

From a young age, I was always curious about how things worked and loved solving puzzles and problems. This natural curiosity led me to excel in maths and science throughout high school and ultimately inspired me to pursue a career in these fields.

2. What challenges did you face while studying maths and science in high school?

One of the biggest challenges I faced was understanding complex concepts and applying them to real-world problems. It took a lot of practice and dedication to overcome this challenge, but it ultimately strengthened my problem-solving skills.

3. How did your high school education prepare you for your current career?

My high school education provided me with a strong foundation in maths and science, which has been crucial in my career. It taught me fundamental concepts and problem-solving skills that I continue to use in my work every day.

4. What advice would you give to students who are struggling with maths and science?

Don't be afraid to ask for help and seek out additional resources such as tutors or online resources. Practice regularly and don't give up, as understanding these subjects takes time and effort. Also, try to find ways to connect the material to real-life situations to make it more relatable and interesting.

5. How has your understanding of maths and science evolved since high school?

Since high school, my understanding of maths and science has deepened and expanded. I have continued to learn new concepts and techniques, and I have also gained a better appreciation for the applications of these subjects in various industries and fields of study.