Lectures on the Varying fine structure constant

In summary, John K Webb is talking about how the variation of a fundamental constant affects the universe. The constants of nature can be varied, and this affects the universe.
Conn_coord
A University of Oxford and Cambridge Collaboration in 2014 produced a series of lectures "Cosmology and the constants of nature". John K Webb spoke on the topic of variations in the values of fundamental constants.
Latest developments here.

Who else is doing similar research?

Likes RayTomes and Maarten Havinga
Space news on Phys.org
Have you read e.g. the wikipedia article?
There are some references therein you should check out.

My former collegues wrote this paper which might be of some interest to you. It has only been cited by two other papers, so not that popular/impactful study. But there should be plenty of references therein for you to read.

Likes vanhees71
Thanks for the link to article.
Information on Wiki is not up to date.
But it can be true:
The time-variation of fine-structure constant is equivalent to the time-variation of one or more of: speed of light, Planck constant, vacuum permittivity, and elementary charge,
since $$\alpha = \frac {e^2} {2\epsilon_0 \cdot c \cdot h} $$

Last edited:
Conn_coord said:
Information on Wiki is not up to date
Probably not but you have references to seminal papers from which you can find other papers and so on.

Likes ohwilleke
Of course, you are right, the amount of material will increase. But this is how I go back in time :) . And I need something that is not yet in Wiki

Conn_coord said:
Of course, you are right, the amount of material will increase. But this is how I go back in time :) . And I need something that is not yet in Wiki
I think you do not understand what I meant.
Go to the papers listed on wiki, then look what articles are referring to those articles.
For instance this one: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/340921928_Four_direct_measurements_of_the_fine-structure_constant_13_billion_years_ago
click on "citations"
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/340921928_Four_direct_measurements_of_the_fine-structure_constant_13_billion_years_ago
BAM tons of papers to read. Then if you find an interesting paper among those, play the same game and find what papers are using that paper as a reference. And so on.

Likes ohwilleke and Conn_coord
OK, thanks.
That's how it works. I'll try to find what I need.

John K Webb is talking about the time variation of a fine structure constant.
At the same time, it does not suggest patterns of its change.
The simplest form is $$\alpha = f(T)$$, where T - age of the Universe.
In turn, we can represent T as $$ T = N \cdot t_0$$, where t0 - some kind of time standard chosen by a person.
As a reference, you can choose the Planck`s time:
$$ T = N\cdot t_0 = N \cdot \sqrt{\frac{Gh}{c^5}} $$

Then, using the work of E. Teller, Phys. Rev. 73, 801 (1948), On the Change of Physical Constants one can arrive at the expression:
$$ N= const \cdot \frac {1}{\alpha} \cdot e^{\frac{1}{\alpha}} $$
whose solution is the Lambert function.

1. What is the fine structure constant?

The fine structure constant, denoted by the symbol α (alpha), is a dimensionless physical constant that describes the strength of the electromagnetic interaction between elementary particles. It is a fundamental constant in quantum electrodynamics (QED) and is approximately equal to 1/137.

2. Why does the fine structure constant vary?

The fine structure constant is believed to vary due to the influence of quantum fluctuations in the vacuum of space. These fluctuations can cause a slight change in the strength of the electromagnetic force, leading to a variation in the value of α.

3. How is the fine structure constant measured?

The fine structure constant can be measured through a variety of experiments, including precision measurements of atomic spectra, electron scattering experiments, and observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation. These measurements have all confirmed the constancy of α within experimental error.

4. What are the implications of a varying fine structure constant?

A varying fine structure constant could have significant implications for our understanding of the laws of physics and the evolution of the universe. It could potentially challenge the principles of symmetry and conservation of energy, and could also affect the formation of chemical elements in the early universe.

5. Is there evidence for a varying fine structure constant?

There have been several studies and experiments that have suggested a possible variation in the fine structure constant. However, these results have not been conclusive and are still subject to debate and further investigation. Currently, there is no definitive evidence for a varying fine structure constant.