Left Invariant Metric: What I Don't Understand

In summary, the conversation is discussing Lie Groups and the semi-direct product ##R_+ \ltimes R^4##. There is confusion about whether this is a matrix group and how the group multiplication works. It is suggested that it is a subgroup of the Poincaré group with fewer multiplications. The metric is also mentioned and its role in the group.
ergospherical
I haven't learned about Lie Groups yet, but came across this question.

1626811932297.png

What I don't understand:
- is the semi-direct product ##R_+ \ltimes R^4## here a matrix group with elements ##\begin{pmatrix} \lambda & x^{\mu} \\ 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix}##? And is the group multiplication then matrix multiplication?
- I guessed that because ##R_+ \ltimes R^4 \sim R^5## that the metric acts on matrices ##g_1, g_2## in the group as it would acting on two vectors in ##R^5##, but what does it mean that the metric is left invariant? Is it that for an arbitrary matrix ##g_3## in the group that ##\langle g_1, g_2 \rangle = \langle g_3 g_1, g_3 g_2 \rangle##?

(Not sure if any of that's right and maybe it'd be better to actually learn the theory first, but sometimes a practical example can't hurt?)

Likes Delta2 and Dale
Physics news on Phys.org
@fresh_42 do you have any words of wisdom? 😜

At first glance, I think this is the subgroup of the Poincaré group with all 4 translations, but only one dilatation (multiplication with ##M_{\mu\nu}=\lambda ##) as opposed to the entire Lorentz group. You could basically do all the things you do with the Poincaré group, but with far fewer multiplications, since the entire Lorentz subgroup is reduced to ##\mathbb{R}_+.##

Likes ergospherical

1. What is a left invariant metric?

A left invariant metric is a type of metric that is defined on a group, a mathematical structure with a set of elements and a binary operation that combines two elements to produce a third. In a left invariant metric, the distance between two elements is the same regardless of which element is used as the starting point for the distance calculation.

2. How is a left invariant metric different from a regular metric?

A regular metric is defined on a general space, while a left invariant metric is specifically defined on a group. In a regular metric, the distance between two points can vary depending on the path taken, while in a left invariant metric, the distance is the same regardless of the path.

3. What is the significance of a left invariant metric?

A left invariant metric is important in the study of groups, as it allows for a consistent measure of distance between elements. It also has applications in areas such as geometry, topology, and physics.

4. How is a left invariant metric used in group theory?

In group theory, a left invariant metric is used to define a metric space, which is a space where the distance between any two points is well-defined. This allows for the study of properties and structures of groups using metric concepts.

5. Can a group have more than one left invariant metric?

Yes, a group can have multiple left invariant metrics. In fact, there are often infinitely many left invariant metrics that can be defined on a given group. These metrics may have different properties and can be used to study different aspects of the group.