Work Check: Simple entanglement problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the reduced density matrix equation for a two-particle system and the approach for computing its matrix elements. The solution provided uses a normalized state vector and the density operator for a pure state.
WWCY

Homework Statement

Could someone assist me in skimming through my work for this problem? Many thanks!

I attached an image of the problem below. Also, I only need help for the first part (part a), cheers.

Homework Equations

General entangled state vector of a two-particle system:
$$|\psi \rangle = \sum_{i,j} \psi_{i,j} |\phi_i \Omega |\nu_j \rangle$$
where ## | \phi_i \rangle ## and ##| \Omega_j \rangle## are basis states of A and B Hilbert spaces respectively

Density operator that acts on the tensor-product space:
$$\hat{\rho} = |\psi \rangle \langle \psi |$$

Partial trace over A states gives reduced density matrix that acts on B Hilbert space:
$$\hat{\rho} _B = \text{Tr}_A \big( \ \hat{\rho} \ \big) = \sum_{i'} \big( \langle \phi_{i'} | \otimes \hat{I} \big) \ \hat{\rho} \ \big( | \phi_{i'} \rangle \otimes \hat{I} \big) = \sum_{j, j'} | \Omega_j \rangle \big( \sum_{i} \psi_{i,j} \psi ^* _{i,j'} \big) \langle \Omega _{j'} | $$

The Attempt at a Solution

The reduced density matrix equation seems to imply that there are 9 matrix elements to compute. When written in matrix form, with ##|p\rangle = (1,0,0)^{T}##, ##|q\rangle = (0,1,0)^{T}##, ##|r\rangle = (0,0,1)^{T}##. This gave me

$$\hat{\rho}_B = \begin{pmatrix}
1/4 & 1/4 & 1/2\sqrt{3} \\
1/4 & 5/12 & 1/2\sqrt{3} \\
1/2\sqrt{3} & 1/2\sqrt{3} & 1/3
\end{pmatrix}$$

and the probabilities of measurements on particle B are given by its diagonals. Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, your approach and solution for the reduced density matrix are correct. However, I would suggest using a normalized state vector for your calculations, such as $$|\psi \rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{6}} \big( |p\rangle \otimes |q\rangle + |q\rangle \otimes |r\rangle + |r\rangle \otimes |p\rangle \big)$$
This will result in a simpler matrix for the reduced density matrix, which you can then easily normalize to obtain the probabilities of measurements on particle B. Additionally, for future reference, you can also use the density operator for a pure state, which is simply $$\hat{\rho} = |\psi \rangle \langle \psi |$$ without the summation. Keep up the good work!

1. What is a simple entanglement problem?

A simple entanglement problem is a type of physics problem that involves two or more particles that are connected in such a way that their properties are correlated, even when they are separated by a large distance. This phenomenon is known as quantum entanglement and it is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics.

2. How does quantum entanglement work?

Quantum entanglement occurs when two or more particles are created or interact in a way that their properties become dependent on each other. This means that measuring the properties of one particle will affect the properties of the other particle, regardless of the distance between them. This phenomenon is still not fully understood, but it has been proven to exist through various experiments.

3. What is the significance of simple entanglement problems in science?

Simple entanglement problems have significant implications in the field of quantum mechanics and our understanding of the universe. They have been used to develop quantum technologies such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography. They also challenge our traditional understanding of cause and effect, and have sparked debates about the nature of reality.

4. Can simple entanglement problems be observed in real life?

Yes, simple entanglement problems have been observed in various experiments. One famous example is the EPR experiment, which demonstrated the phenomenon of quantum entanglement. Other experiments have also shown entanglement between particles separated by large distances, proving that this is not just a theoretical concept.

5. Are there any practical applications of simple entanglement problems?

Yes, simple entanglement problems have practical applications in various fields, particularly in quantum technologies. For example, quantum entanglement can be used for secure communication through quantum cryptography, and it is also a key component in quantum computing, which has the potential to greatly enhance computing power and solve complex problems.