Leibniz criterion and Maclaurin approximations

In summary: Have I done something wrong?I think what you need to do is1. Write the Maclaurin series for 1 - cos(t).2. Divide each term in the Maclaurin series by t.3. Integrate, and evaluate the resulting series at 1 and at 0.4. Use as many terms as needed to get the desired precision.g(x)=1-cosx g'(x)=sinx g''(x)=cosx g^{(3)}(x)=-sinx g^{(4)}(x)=-cosx g^{(5)}(x)=sinx g^{(
estro
I'm trying to calculate the following function (at x=1) with accuracy of 10^(-3).

[tex]f(x)= \int^x_{0} \frac{1-cost}{t}[/tex]

What I've tried:
[tex]f(1)=f(0)+f'(c)=1-\sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{(-1)^nc^{2k}}{(2k)!}[/tex]
But now I don't know how to calculate this expression. [I know that this series is convergent thanks to Leibniz criterion]

Have I done something wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
estro said:
I'm trying to calculate the following function (at x=1) with accuracy of 10^(-3).

[tex]f(x)= \int^x_{0} \frac{1-cost}{t}[/tex]

What I've tried:
[tex]f(1)=f(0)+f'(c)=1-\sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{(-1)^nc^{2k}}{(2k)!}[/tex]
But now I don't know how to calculate this expression. [I know that this series is convergent thanks to Leibniz criterion]

Have I done something wrong?
I think what you need to do is
1. Write the Maclaurin series for 1 - cos(t).
2. Divide each term in the Maclaurin series by t.
3. Integrate, and evaluate the resulting series at 1 and at 0.
4. Use as many terms as needed to get the desired precision.

[tex] g(x)=1-cosx [/tex]
[tex] g'(x)=sinx [/tex]
[tex] g''(x)=cosx [/tex]
[tex] g^{(3)}(x)=-sinx [/tex]
[tex] g^{(4)}(x)=-cosx [/tex]
[tex] g^{(5)}(x)=sinx [/tex]
[tex] g^{(6)}(x)=cosx [/tex]
[tex] g^{(7)}(x)=-sinx [/tex]

[tex] |R_6(t)| = |\frac {f^{(7)}(c)t^7} {7!}| \leq 10^{-3} [/tex]

[tex]
f(1)=\int_0^{1} \frac {g(0)+g'(0)x+ \frac {g''(0)t^2} {2!t} + \frac {g^{(3)}(0)t^3} {3!t} + \frac {g^{(4)}(0)t^4} {4!t} + \frac {g^{(5)}(0)t^5} {5!t} + {g^{(6)}(0)t^6} {6!t}} {t}= \int_0^{1} 0+0+\frac {t} {2} - \frac {t^3} {24} + \frac {t^5}{720} +\frac {R_6(t)} {t} [/tex]

But how can I integrate the Reminder without corrupting my approximation, and even if I will integrate also the reminder how can I know that if f(x)=g(x)+c then also [tex] \int_a^{b} f(x) = c(b-a)+\int_a^{b} g(x)[/tex].

Last edited:
Go back to what I said in post #2.
1. Write the Maclaurin series for 1 - cos(t).
2. Divide each term in the Maclaurin series by t.
3. Integrate, and evaluate the resulting series at 1 and at 0.
4. Use as many terms as needed to get the desired precision.
The Maclaurin series for 1 - cos(t) is 1 - {1 - t2/2! + t4/4! - t6/6! +- (some more terms) ...}

The result from step 3 will still be a series, and will be an alternating series. There is a simple way to determine the error in truncating an alternating series that pertains to the first unused term.

Thanks, got it!

1. What is the Leibniz criterion?

The Leibniz criterion, also known as the alternating series test, is a mathematical test used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. It states that if the terms of a series alternate in sign and decrease in absolute value, then the series is convergent.

2. How is the Leibniz criterion used in Maclaurin approximations?

In Maclaurin approximations, the Leibniz criterion is used to determine the error of the approximation. The error of a Maclaurin approximation is bounded by the absolute value of the next term in the series, which can be determined using the Leibniz criterion.

3. What is a Maclaurin approximation?

A Maclaurin approximation is a method of approximating a function using a polynomial. It is a special case of the Taylor series, where the polynomial is centered at x=0.

4. How accurate are Maclaurin approximations?

The accuracy of a Maclaurin approximation depends on the number of terms used in the polynomial. The more terms included, the closer the approximation will be to the actual function. However, there will always be a margin of error due to the nature of approximation.

5. In what areas of science are Leibniz criterion and Maclaurin approximations commonly used?

Leibniz criterion and Maclaurin approximations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other areas of science where precise calculations and approximations are necessary. They are especially useful in fields such as calculus, mechanics, and electrical engineering.