Leibniz Notation: Finding dy/dx for y=∫e^-t dx

In summary, the process for finding dy/dx using Leibniz's rule involves substituting the given function into the formula and simplifying. In this particular case, the correct answer is (x+1)/(1+x) - 1/x. Additionally, to solve for the integral of (x^2)/(x^2+a^2)^2, one can use the substitution method and then take the integrals.
thercias

Homework Statement

Using Leibniz's rule to find dy/dx for
y = integral of e^-t from interval: [ln(x) to ln(x+1)]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

dy/dx = e^-(ln(x+1))*(1/(1+x))-e^-(ln(x))*(1/x)
= (x+1)/(1+x) - (x/x)
= 0

Im not sure what I'm doing wrong or how to properly use leibniz's rule... i checked wolfram alpha and my answer doesn't look right.

also side question, my teacher manages to simplify integral of (x^2)/(x^2+a^2)^2 to (integral 1/(x^2+a^2) - a^2*integral(1/(x^2+a^2)^2)
if you have a clue on how he reaches to that conclusion i would appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
e^-(ln(x))=1/x, not x as you've written. Similarly for ln(x+1)

As to your second quastion:

Replace your numerator with the device x^2=(x^2+a^2)-a^2

1. What is Leibniz notation?

Leibniz notation is a mathematical notation used to represent derivatives and integrals. It was developed by German mathematician Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz in the 17th century.

2. How do you find dy/dx using Leibniz notation?

To find dy/dx using Leibniz notation, you need to take the derivative of the function with respect to x. This can be done by differentiating each term in the function and then simplifying the result.

3. What is the significance of dy/dx in calculus?

dy/dx represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable, x. It is used in calculus to calculate the slope of a curve at a specific point and to find the maximum and minimum values of a function.

4. How is dy/dx related to integration?

dy/dx is the derivative of y with respect to x, while integration is the reverse process of differentiation. So, if we have an integral of a function, we can find the derivative of that function by using Leibniz notation.

5. How do you apply Leibniz notation to solve problems?

To apply Leibniz notation to solve problems, you need to identify the function and its independent variable, then use the rules of differentiation to find dy/dx. You can then use this derivative to solve various problems in calculus, such as finding the slope of a curve or the area under a curve.