Length-Norm inequality to root-n times Length (using 2|uv| <= |u|^2 + |v|^2)

In summary: The first proof uses the fact that ##|x|^2=\left(\sum_{i=1}^n|x_i|\right)^2## and the second proof uses the fact that ##|x|^2=\left(\vert x\vert\right)^2$$.
Sravoff
I've been reading "The Qualitative Theory of Ordinary Differential Equations, An Introduction" and am now stuck on an inequality I am supposed to be able to prove. I am pretty sure the inequality comes from linear algebra, I remember seeing something about it in my intro class but I let a friend borrow my book. I have been unable to find an explanation of the 2|uv| inequality, which may be all I need.

Definitions where bold indicates vectors.
[tex]\text{Euclidean Length: }||\textbf{y}|| = \left(\Sigma_{i=1}^n |y_i|^2\right)^{1/2}, \text{Norm: } |\textbf{y}| = \Sigma_{i=1}^n|y_i| [/tex]

[tex]
\text{To Prove:} \\
\text{If } \textbf{y} \in E_n, \text{ show that} \\
||\textbf{y}|| \leq |\textbf{y}| \leq \sqrt{n}||\textbf{y}|| \\
\text{Hint, use } 2|uv| \leq |u|^2 + |v|^2 \text{ and show that } ||\textbf{y}||^2 \leq |\textbf{y}|^2 \leq n||\textbf{y}||^2[/tex]

I was thinking that generalizing the [itex]2|uv|[/itex] inequality to

[tex]n|u_1 u_2 \cdots u_n| \leq |u_1|^2 + |u_2|^2 + \cdots + |u_n|^2[/tex]

may lead me in a helpful direction, but couldn't see where to go with it, or where that inequality came from to generalize it.

That may not even be the right way to be thinking about the proof, but any direction you could give me in this direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
-Sravoff

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint for the 2|uv| thing: What is ##(|u|-|v|)^2##?

For the first inequality, square both sides of ##\Vert x\Vert\leq \vert x\vert##.

For the second, square both sides of ##\vert x\vert\leq \sqrt{n}\Vert x\Vert## and use the inequality from the hint on the cross terms that appear in ##\vert x\vert^2##.

Hey Fredrik, thanks for the hint that worked great! I can see the 2|uv| identity now, but that didn't get me closer to a generalized form. I played with a couple of other forms that didn't wind up looking too promising.

Hey platetheduke, is here an justification for where those come from in the first place? If I start with just the definitions above, how do I claim that ||x|| <= |x|?

The inequalities ##\|x\|\leq|x| \leq\sqrt{n}\|x\|## are equivalent to ##\|x\|^2\leq |x|^2\leq n\|x\|^2##. The latter pair of inequalities can be obtained in a fairly straightforward way starting with the definition of ##|x|##. The result ##2|u||v|\leq|u|^2+|v|^2## is used in the proof of the second inequality, but not in the proof of the first.

Would you like to give it a try and show us where you get stuck?

Both proofs start like this:
$$|x|^2=\left(\sum_{i=1}^n|x_i|\right)^2 =$$

Last edited:

1. What is the Length-Norm inequality to root-n times Length?

The Length-Norm inequality to root-n times Length is a mathematical inequality that relates the length of a vector to the length of its components. It states that the length of a vector is less than or equal to the square root of the number of components multiplied by the length of the longest component.

2. How is the Length-Norm inequality used in mathematics?

The Length-Norm inequality is commonly used in various mathematical proofs and calculations. It is especially useful in proving geometric inequalities and in calculating the norms of matrices and other mathematical objects.

3. What is the significance of using 2|uv| <= |u|^2 + |v|^2 in the Length-Norm inequality?

The use of 2|uv| <= |u|^2 + |v|^2 in the Length-Norm inequality allows for a stronger inequality to be derived. It also allows for the inequality to be applied in a wider range of mathematical situations.

4. Can the Length-Norm inequality be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Length-Norm inequality can be extended to higher dimensions. In higher dimensions, the inequality states that the length of a vector is less than or equal to the n-th root of the number of components multiplied by the length of the longest component.

5. Are there any other similar inequalities to the Length-Norm inequality?

Yes, there are other inequalities that are similar to the Length-Norm inequality, such as the Triangle Inequality and the Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality. These inequalities also relate the lengths of vectors and their components in different ways.