Proof of an inequality with natural numbers

In summary, the equation states that for every even number there exists a two-term sequence that is greater than one. For every odd number, there exists a two-term sequence that is less than one.
Andraz Cepic

Homework Statement

Prove that ##\forall n \in \mathbb{N}##
$$\frac{n}{2} < 1 + \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{3} + \ldots + \frac{1}{2^n - 1} \leq n \text{ .}$$

Homework Equations

Peano axioms and field axioms for real numbers.

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so my first assumption was that this part in the middle was a partial series of a sequence, that looks something like
$$
1+ \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{3} + \ldots + \frac{1}{2^n - 1} + \frac{1}{2^{n+1} - 1} \text{,}
$$
so I tried to prove it using this, but I quickly spotted the elephant in the room that the ##\frac{1}{2}## is, since ##\nexists n \in \mathbb{N}## so that ##2^n - 1 = 2##.

Therefore I tried to come up with a reasonable sequence for which such an inequality could hold. Thus far I wrestled with
$$
\sum\limits_{k=1}^{2^n -1} \frac{1}{k} +
\sum\limits_{k=2^n}^{2^{n+1} - 1} \frac{1}{k}\text{,}
$$
but the inequlaity has proven itself to be incredibly difficult to prove via induction.

My first try was to prove the right hand side, therefore to come to a contradiction with
\begin{gather*}
\sum\limits_{k=1}^{2^{n+1} - 1} \frac{1}{k}
\leq
n + \frac{1}{2^n} + \frac{1}{2^n + 1} + \ldots + \frac{1}{2^{n+1} - 1}
> n+1 \text{,}
\end{gather*}
or
$$
\frac{1}{2^n} + \frac{1}{2^n + 1} + \ldots + \frac{1}{2^{n+1} - 1} > 1\text{,}
$$
which is intuitively a contradiciton and I have gone so far as to even write a little program in c that calculated the left side for ##n = 1, 2, \ldots, 10##, where the result was obviously less than 1.

I have no idea how to prove this so far, but I am still trying and will do so until I run out of time and check this thread for hints and update you on the situation when necessary.

Physics news on Phys.org
Andraz Cepic said:
Therefore I tried to come up with a reasonable sequence for which such an inequality could hold. Thus far I wrestled with
$$
\sum\limits_{k=1}^{2^n -1} \frac{1}{k} +
\sum\limits_{k=2^n}^{2^{n+1} - 1} \frac{1}{k}\text{,}
$$
but the inequlaity has proven itself to be incredibly difficult to prove via induction.
I suggest you look at the second sum and try to find a lower and upper bound for it. Your total sum is the sum of ##n## such sums.

To be a bit more specific, you can often get a hint from how it plays out for small ##n##. For example, for ##n = 1## you have ##2^1 - 1 = 1## and therefore
$$
1/2 \leq 1 \leq 1.
$$
For ##n = 2##, ##2^n-1 = 3## and you have
$$
1 + (1/2 + 1/3) < 1 + (1/2 + 1/2) = 2
$$
but also
$$
1 + (1/2 + 1/3) > 1 + (1/3 + 1/3) = 1 + 2/3 > 1/2 + 1/2 = 2/2.
$$
You should be able to work from here.

Orodruin said:
To be a bit more specific, you can often get a hint from how it plays out for small ##n##. For example, for ##n = 1## you have ##2^1 - 1 = 1## and therefore
$$
1/2 \leq 1 \leq 1.
$$
For ##n = 2##, ##2^n-1 = 3## and you have
$$
1 + (1/2 + 1/3) < 1 + (1/2 + 1/2) = 2
$$
but also
$$
1 + (1/2 + 1/3) > 1 + (1/3 + 1/3) = 1 + 2/3 > 1/2 + 1/2 = 2/2.
$$
You should be able to work from here.

I have, since posting the question, tried to find an upper bound and lower bound to the sequence, but I have TOTALLY failed when calculating the number of terms: ##2^{n+1} - 2^n = 2^n(2^n - 1)##, instead of ##2^{n+1} - 2^n = 2^n(2 - 1) = 2^n## confusing myself entirely and giving up trying to bound it. The correction then leads to
$$
1 + \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{3} + \ldots + \frac{1}{2^{n+1} - 1} < n + \sum\limits_{k = 1}^{2^n} \frac{1}{2^n} = n+1 \text{,}
$$
as desired. Moreover
$$
1 + \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{3} + \ldots + \frac{1}{2^{n+1} - 1} > \frac{n}{2} + \sum\limits_{k = 1}^{2^n} \frac{1}{2^{n+1}} = \frac{n}{2} + \frac{1}{2} = \frac{n+1}{2} \text{,}
$$
finishing off the proof!
##\square##

Thank you for helping me notice my mistake!

1. How do you prove an inequality involving natural numbers?

To prove an inequality with natural numbers, you can use mathematical induction. This involves showing that the inequality holds for a base case (often n=1) and then proving that if the inequality holds for some natural number n, it also holds for n+1. This establishes that the inequality holds for all natural numbers.

2. Can you give an example of a proof of an inequality with natural numbers?

Sure, for example, to prove that n+1 > n for all natural numbers n, we would first show that the inequality is true for the base case n=1 (1+1 > 1). Then, assuming the inequality holds for some natural number n, we can show that it also holds for n+1 (n+1 + 1 > n+1). This completes the proof by mathematical induction.

3. Are there any other methods for proving inequalities with natural numbers?

Yes, another common method is using the well-ordering principle, which states that every non-empty set of natural numbers has a smallest element. This can be used to prove inequalities by contradiction, assuming that the inequality does not hold and reaching a contradiction.

4. Are there any special cases or exceptions when proving inequalities with natural numbers?

One important consideration is when dealing with inequalities involving 0. Since 0 is the smallest natural number, sometimes proofs may need to be adjusted to include this case separately.

5. How can proofs of inequalities with natural numbers be applied in real-world situations?

Inequalities involving natural numbers can be used to model and analyze a variety of real-world situations, such as population growth, economic trends, and probability. Proving these inequalities allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions about these real-world scenarios.