Length of an Edge of a Cube

In summary: Volume in cubic yards = x3/27I only considered the volume of the cube, not the total amount of space the cube takes up. Oops!
zak100

Homework Statement

The volume of a cube is 'v' cubic yards, and its surface area is 'a' square feet. If 'v' = 'a' what is the length in inches of each edge?

Homework Equations

volume of a cube = e^3
surface area of cube = 6e^2

The Attempt at a Solution

volume of a cube = 'v' cubic yards
= 'v' * 3 feet
= 'v' * 3 * 12 inches
= 36 'v' inches
surface area of a cube = 6 * e^2
'a' = 6 * e ^2
'v' = 6 * e^2

Now volume of cube = 36 * 6 * e ^2 inches
e^3 = 216 e^2 inches
e = 216 inches

But answer is not correct. Some body please guide me.

Zulfi.

Physics news on Phys.org
zak100 said:
= 'v' * 3 feet
= 'v' * 3 * 12 inches
= 36 'v' inches
surface area of a cube = 6 * e^2
'a' = 6 * e ^2
'v' = 6 * e^2
It looks like your unit conversions are not correct. Remember that to convert units, you basically multiply by "1"...

[tex]1yd^3 = 1yd^3 (\frac{36in}{1yd})^3 = ? in^3[/tex]

Hi,
will it be:

= 'v' * (3)^3 feet
= 'v' * 9 feet

Is the above correct?

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Hi,
will it be:

= 'v' * (3)^3 feet
= 'v' * 9 feet

Is the above correct?

Zulfi.
I'm not sure. The question is a bit strange since they are asking you to equate two numbers, even though they have different units.
zak100 said:
The volume of a cube is 'v' cubic yards, and its surface area is 'a' square feet. If 'v' = 'a' what is the length in inches of each edge?
So I would approach this by starting with the variable e for the length of each edge in inches.

Then I would write the equation to give me the volume "v" of the cube in cubic yards based on e, using the appropriate unit conversion from in^3 to yd^3

Then I would write the equation to give me the surface area "a" of a side in cubic feet based on e, using the appropriate unit conversion from in^2 to ft^2

And finally I would set "a" = "v" and solve for e in inches. Can you show how that calculation would go (using the hint that I gave you above for how to handle such unit conversions)?

BTW, I just worked it out that way, and seem to get a consistent answer. :smile:

Likes CWatters
berkeman said:
The question is a bit strange since they are asking you to equate two numbers, even though they have different units.
Numbers do not have units. If told the volume is v, that would be a physical quantity so would have dimension and its value would have units. But we are told the volume is v cubic yards. That makes v a dimensionless number.

Likes berkeman
Yes, agreed. That's the way I interpret it too, it's just a bit hard to deal with for me mentally. But the method that I outlined in post #4 seemed to work fine. I got an answer different than I was expecting, but it seems to check out. :smile:

Hi,
I got the solution for this problem. It can be done just by using the actual formulas instead of supposing any symbol for the edges. The solution is attached.

Baron p 514 example 2.jpg

Thanks everybody for your time, comments and interest in my problem.

Zulfi.

Last edited:
I got the same answer but differently.
Let the length be x ft which is equal to x/3 yds

Area of faces in sg ft = 6x2
Volume in cubic yards = x3/27
By equating the two x = 6 times 27 = 162ft = 1944 inches

EDIT -- See the post below after this post

Well then I'm confused.

if e = 1944 inches, then

[tex]a = 1944^2 in^2 (\frac{1 ft}{12 in})^2 = 26,244 ft^2 [/tex]

[tex]v = 1044^3 in^3 (\frac{1 yd}{36 in})^3 = 157,464 yd^3[/tex]

I got e = 324 inches, which gives a = v = 729. Did I misinterpret the problem?

Last edited:
Dadface said:
Area of faces in sg ft = 6x2
This is what I missed. I only considered the area of one of the faces, not the total surface area. Doh! o0)

Likes Dadface

1. What is the definition of the length of an edge of a cube?

The length of an edge of a cube refers to the distance between any two opposite corners or vertices on the cube's surface. It is also known as the side length or edge length of the cube.

2. How is the length of an edge of a cube measured?

The length of an edge of a cube is typically measured in units such as centimeters, inches, or meters. It can be measured using a ruler or measuring tape by placing it along one edge of the cube and reading the measurement at the opposite edge.

3. What is the relationship between the length of an edge and the volume of a cube?

The length of an edge and the volume of a cube are directly proportional. This means that as the length of an edge increases, the volume of the cube also increases. For example, doubling the length of an edge will result in a cube with eight times the volume.

4. Can the length of an edge of a cube be negative?

No, the length of an edge of a cube cannot be negative. It is a physical measurement and cannot have a negative value. If the edge length is represented by a variable, it can be assigned a negative value in a mathematical equation, but in real-world scenarios, the length of an edge cannot be negative.

5. How does the length of an edge of a cube affect its surface area?

The length of an edge of a cube and its surface area are also directly proportional. As the length of an edge increases, the surface area of the cube also increases. For example, doubling the length of an edge will result in a cube with four times the surface area.