Position for maximum electric field between two wires

In summary, the conversation discusses the principle of superposition for electric fields and the formula for calculating the potential due to two wires on a 2-dimensional plane. The maximal electric field is expected to occur at the surface of each wire, but there is confusion about the correct formula and how to maximize the value of the electric field. The problem also lacks information about the charge on each wire, which is necessary for further calculations.
PhysicsKush
Homework Statement
Given a two-conductor setup of two infinitely long parallel wires. Let the conducting wires have radius ##R## and be separated by a distance ##D##, where ##D## is much larger than ##R##. Use the approximation that the field from the second wire does not impact the charge distribution on the first. Similarly, you may assume that the field near a wire is dominated by that wire and you can safely neglect the field from the other wire, and that the wire diameter is small compared to the separation. Where then is the electric field going to be maximum ? What is the potential difference between the two wires, expressed in terms of ##\lambda## ?
Relevant Equations
For a wire
$$V = \frac{\lambda}{2 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \ln \Bigg\lvert \frac{r}{a} \Bigg\rvert,$$
where ##r## is the distance to the point and ##a## is the distance from the reference point.
$$ E = \frac{\lambda}{2 \pi \epsilon_{0} r},$$
where ##r## is the radius of the wire.
For the first part, since
$$ E(r) \propto \frac{1}{r} \hat{r}$$
by the principle of superposition the maximal electric field should be halfway in between the two wires.

Then I'm not sure how to go about the second part of the question. I understand that the total potential due to the two wires on an ##2## dimensional plane , at an arbitrary point is
$$ V = \frac{\lambda}{2 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \ln\Bigg\lvert\frac{d_{-}}{d_{+}}\Bigg\rvert,$$
where ##d_{-} ,d_{+}## are respectively the distances between each wire to the evaluated point. I also know that the potential difference between two points is
$$ V(b) - V(a) = \int_{a}^{b} \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{l},$$
but I'm unable to translate these informations into a correct answer.

Any insight would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Let ##d_- \rightarrow d## (The distance between 2 wires) and ##d_+ \rightarrow a## (The radius of wire) in the formula of potential you wrote.

Likes PhysicsKush
Mihail Anghelici said:
$$ E = \frac{\lambda}{2 \pi \epsilon_{0} r},$$ where ##r## is the radius of the wire.
That's not what ##r## represents.

For the first part, since
$$ E(r) \propto \frac{1}{r} \hat{r}$$
by the principle of superposition the maximal electric field should be halfway in between the two wires.
How did you come to this conclusion? I'd expect the field to vanish halfway between the two wires.

vela said:
That's not what ##r## represents.How did you come to this conclusion? I'd expect the field to vanish halfway between the two wires.
You're right, well I think ##r## is the Gaussian radius which can be extended over the real radius, so essentially it is the distance from the center of the wire.

Also, well since both wire produce an electric field that decays with ##\propto \hat{r}/r##, oh wait I realize my answer makes no sense ! There should be two points where the maximal electric field should occur : right near the center of each wire ?

Mihail Anghelici said:
Also, well since both wire produce an electric field that decays with ##\propto \hat{r}/r##, oh wait I realize my answer makes no sense ! There should be two points where the maximal electric field should occur : right near the center of each wire ?
Remember that the wires are conductors.

vela said:
Remember that the wires are conductors.
Right , the electric field can not be near the center because the electric field inside the conductor is ##0## ! I conclude the maximal electric field occurs right over the surface of the wire ?

Is λ the charge density for both? Why would there be a potential difference? Or is one of them -λ?

Likes archaic and etotheipi
haruspex said:
Is λ the charge density for both? Why would there be a potential difference? Or is one of them -λ?
It is not stated, but I can only assume that is the logical case.

So I digged further and found out that by superposition the total electric field between the two wires should be
$$ \frac{\lambda}{2\pi \epsilon_{0}R} + \frac{\lambda}{2\pi \epsilon_{0} (d-R)} = \frac{\lambda}{2 \pi \epsilon_{0}}\left( \frac{d}{R(d-R)}\right),$$
since ##R \in (0,d)##, it follows the maximal electric field is right over the surface of each wire in the direction towards the opposite wire ,i.e., at ##R = 0^{+}## and ##R=d^{-}##

What do you guys think? I'm not sure this makes sense because in a subsequent question I have to manipulate mathematically the maximal value of ##E##, how do I maximize ##\frac{d}{R(d-R)}##?

Last edited:
##R(d-R)## is a parabola opening downwards, I do not see how you would be able to maximize the fraction.

Mihail Anghelici said:
So I digged further and found out that by superposition the total electric field between the two wires should be
$$ \frac{\lambda}{2\pi \epsilon_{0}R} + \frac{\lambda}{2\pi \epsilon_{0} (d-R)} = \frac{\lambda}{2 \pi \epsilon_{0}}\left( \frac{d}{R(d-R)}\right),$$
since ##R \in (0,d)##, it follows the maximal electric field is right over the surface of each wire in the direction towards the opposite wire ,i.e., at ##R = 0^{+}## and ##R=d^{-}##
What is ##d##? ##R## is the radius of the wire. It doesn't make sense to say ##R = 0^{+}## and ##R=d^{-}##. How come the distance ##D## between the wires doesn't appear in this answer?

The first thing you should do, though, is figure out what the charge on each wire is. Do they both have charge density ##\lambda##, or does one have ##\lambda## and the other ##-\lambda##? It seems pointless to continue until you can give us a clear statement of the problem.

1. What is the concept of "position for maximum electric field" between two wires?

The position for maximum electric field between two wires refers to the location where the electric field strength is at its highest between two parallel wires. This location is typically found at the midpoint between the two wires.

2. How is the position for maximum electric field between two wires calculated?

The position for maximum electric field can be calculated using the formula E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field strength, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge on the wires, and r is the distance between the wires.

3. Why is the position for maximum electric field important?

The position for maximum electric field is important because it determines the strength of the electric field between the wires. This can have implications for the efficiency and safety of electrical systems.

4. Can the position for maximum electric field be changed?

Yes, the position for maximum electric field can be changed by altering the distance between the wires or the amount of charge on the wires. This can be done by adjusting the voltage or current in the system.

5. What factors can affect the position for maximum electric field between two wires?

The position for maximum electric field can be affected by the distance between the wires, the amount of charge on the wires, and the type of material the wires are made of. Other factors such as the presence of other nearby conductors or the shape of the wires can also have an impact.