Lenovo Thinkpad E460: Ideal Laptop for Research and Code Writing

In summary, the individual is starting a CDT program in Fluid Dynamics and needs a new laptop for running simulations and writing code. They are considering the Lenovo Thinkpad E460 due to student discount and mobility. They are seeking advice from others in the field and are open to suggestions for a laptop that supports software freedom. It is noted that the laptop will primarily be used for remote access to computing clusters.
RobosaurusRex
Hi,

I am starting at a CDT (Integrated MSc, and PhD) next month in Fluid Dynamics, a large part of my work will include running simulations and writing code.

I am in need of a new laptop, I am going to dual boot windows and fedora scientific.
Between the student discount and mobility of the model, I am looking at the Lenovo Thinkpad E460.

If anyone has any experience or thoughts please reply!

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Coo - I was about to suggest anything that supports as much software freedom as possible but you have that covered :)
Lenovo have a decent track record for this - apart from that, see what others in your field, at your institution, are using.
Also check with the local LUG.

I assume that you will be running "serious" simulations on some computing clusters and just using your laptop to remotely log into the system. In that case, it really doesn't matter what kind of computer you have, as long as you like it.

You can use free software on any hardware, so that isn't a factor.

1. What are the specifications of the Lenovo Thinkpad E460?

The Lenovo Thinkpad E460 has a 6th generation Intel Core i5 processor, 8GB of RAM, and a 256GB solid state drive. It also has a 14-inch display and a battery life of up to 9 hours.

2. Is the Lenovo Thinkpad E460 suitable for research and code writing?

Yes, the Lenovo Thinkpad E460 is an ideal laptop for research and code writing. It has a powerful processor and enough RAM to handle multiple tasks and programs. The solid state drive also allows for fast and efficient data storage and retrieval.

3. What operating system does the Lenovo Thinkpad E460 run on?

The Lenovo Thinkpad E460 runs on the Windows 10 operating system. This allows for compatibility with a wide range of programs and software commonly used in research and coding.

4. Does the Lenovo Thinkpad E460 have any special features for research and code writing?

Yes, the Lenovo Thinkpad E460 has a TrackPoint pointing stick, which can be useful for precise cursor control when writing code. It also has a full-sized keyboard with a numeric keypad, making it easier to input data and numbers.

5. How does the battery life of the Lenovo Thinkpad E460 hold up for long research and coding sessions?

The Lenovo Thinkpad E460 has a battery life of up to 9 hours, which is more than enough for most research and coding sessions. Additionally, it has a rapid charging feature that can charge the battery up to 80% in just 45 minutes, allowing for quick top-ups during breaks.