Lenz's Law: rectangle and wire

In summary, when a metal rectangle is near a long straight current carrying wire with two sides parallel to the wire, if the current in the wire is decreasing, the rectangle will experience a force of attraction towards the wire due to Lenz's Law, which states that the direction of any magnetic induction effect opposes the cause of the effect. This is because the current in the wire is traveling in the same direction, creating a magnetic field that attracts the rectangle. However, for the rectangle to have a complete loop, the current in the two opposite sides must travel in opposite directions, making it impossible for both sides to be traveling in the same direction. This may help clarify any confusion about the direction of the current in the rectangle.
bbuilder

Homework Statement

A metal rectangle is close to a long straight current carrying wire, with 2 sides parallel to the wire. If the current in the wire is decreasing, the rectangle is

Homework Equations

Lenz's Law: the direction of any magnetic induction effect is such to oppose the cause of the effect

The Attempt at a Solution

The field of the wire is decreasing; therefore, the current through the wire is traveling in the same direction. If current is moving in the same direction, the wires attract each other. I feel like I am missing something.

Physics news on Phys.org
bbuilder said:

Homework Statement

A metal rectangle is close to a long straight current carrying wire, with 2 sides parallel to the wire. If the current in the wire is decreasing, the rectangle is

Homework Equations

Lenz's Law: the direction of any magnetic induction effect is such to oppose the cause of the effect

The Attempt at a Solution

The field of the wire is decreasing; therefore, the current through the wire is traveling in the same direction.
I don't understand what you are saying. The wire current is in the same direction as what?

If current is moving in the same direction, the wires attract each other. I feel like I am missing something.
For the rectangle, the current travels around in a loop. So, current in two opposite sides of the rectangle must travel in opposite directions. They cannot both be in the same direction. (I'm not sure if this helps your understanding any.)

Related to Lenz's Law: rectangle and wire

1. What is Lenz's Law?

Lenz's Law is a basic principle in electromagnetism that states that when an electric current is induced in a conductor, it will create a magnetic field that opposes the change in the current that created it.

2. How does Lenz's Law apply to a rectangle and wire?

In the case of a rectangle and wire, Lenz's Law states that when a magnetic field is applied to the rectangle, a current will be induced in the wire that creates a magnetic field that opposes the original field. This is also known as electromagnetic induction.

3. What is the significance of Lenz's Law in everyday life?

Lenz's Law has many practical applications, such as in generators, transformers, and motors. It also helps us understand the behavior of electromagnetic waves and how they interact with materials.

4. How can Lenz's Law be demonstrated experimentally?

One way to demonstrate Lenz's Law is by conducting an experiment where a magnet is dropped through a coil of wire. As the magnet falls, it will create a current in the wire that will produce a magnetic field that opposes the magnet's motion.

5. Are there any exceptions to Lenz's Law?

Lenz's Law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism and has been observed to hold true in all cases. However, there are some situations where it may not appear to apply, such as with superconductors or in cases of extremely high frequencies or speeds.