Let f(x) = x^2 + 1 and g(x) = x^3 + 1.

• MHB
  • Thread starter toni07
  • Start date
In summary, Euclidean algorithm finds the gcd of two polynomials in $\Bbb Q[x]$ as being 2, but in $F_2$ it finds the gcd as being 1, and that x + 1 is the gcd.
toni07
a) Over the field Q, compute h(x) = gcd(f(x), g(x)), and fi nd polynomials a(x) and b(x) such that h(x) = a(x)f(x) + b(x)g(x).
(b) Same question over the fi eld F_2 = {0, 1}.

I already computed the gcd(f(x), g(x)) to be 2, but I don't really understand how I'm supposed to find a(x) and b(x), and the difference the result is supposed to have when compared with result of part b.

Physics news on Phys.org
crypt50 said:
I already computed the gcd(f(x), g(x)) to be 2, but I don't really understand how I'm supposed to find a(x) and b(x), and the difference the result is supposed to have when compared with result of part b.

Use the Euclidean algorithm. Perhaps this thread helps:

http://mathhelpboards.com/linear-abstract-algebra-14/field-extensions-basic-theory-6565.html#post29923

Fernando Revilla said:
Use the Euclidean algorithm. Perhaps this thread helps:

http://mathhelpboards.com/linear-abstract-algebra-14/field-extensions-basic-theory-6565.html#post29923

I already used the Euclidean algorithm to get the gcd which is 2, but I need help with the rest of the question.

crypt50 said:
I already used the Euclidean algorithm to get the gcd which is 2, but I need help with the rest of the question.

The extended Euclidean algorithm (for $\mathbb Q[x]$) also provides the factors:

\begin{array}{rcrcrl}
1 \cdot (x^3 + 1) &+& 0 \cdot (x^2 + 1) &=& x^3 + 1 \\
0 \cdot (x^3 + 1) &+& 1 \cdot (x^2 + 1) &=& x^2 + 1 & \text{times (-x) and add to previous} \\
\hline \\
1 \cdot (x^3 + 1) &+& (-x) \cdot (x^2 + 1) &=& -x + 1 & \text{times (x) and add to previous} \\
x \cdot (x^3 + 1) &+& (-x^2 + 1) \cdot (x^2 + 1) &=& x + 1 & \text{times (1) and add to previous} \\
(x+1)\cdot (x^3 + 1) &+& (-x^2 - x + 1) \cdot (x^2 + 1) &=& 2 & \text{divide by 2} \\
\frac 12(x+1)\cdot (x^3 + 1) &+&\frac 12 (-x^2 - x + 1) \cdot (x^2 + 1) &=& 1
\end{array}
$\blacksquare$

Last edited:
I think it's misleading to say "the gcd is 2", since any gcd is only determined up to a unit factor. In $\Bbb Q$, 2 is a unit, so we can claim just as easily that the gcd is 1, or 5. The important thing is that the gcd is of degree 0, so in particular is non-zero.

Over the field $F_2$, things are quite a bit different. For example, in $F_2$, we have that $x^2 + 1$ splits completely as:

$x^2 + 1 = (x + 1)(x + 1)$.

It should also be clear that in $F_2$ we have:

$x^3 + 1 = (x + 1)(x^2 + x + 1)$ where both of these factors are irreducible.

To show that $x + 1$ is the gcd (I use "the" here, because $F_2$ only HAS one unit, 1), it suffices to show $x^2 + 1$ does not divide $x^3 + 1$. I leave it to you to devise $a(x),b(x)$ a little algebraic tinkering should show you the proper polynomials to pick.

Last edited:
Deveno said:
I think it's misleading to say "the gcd is 2", since any gcd is only determined up to a unit factor. In $\Bbb Q$, 2 is a unit, so we can claim just as easily that the gcd is 1, or 5. The important thing is that the gcd is of degree 0, so in particular is non-zero.

Over the field $F_2$, things are quite a bit different. For example, in $F_2$, we have that $x^2 + 1$ splits completely as:

$x^2 + 1 = (x + 1)(x + 1)$.

It should also be clear that in $F_2$ we have:

$x^3 + 1 = (x + 1)(x^2 + x + 1)$ where both of these factors are irreducible.

To show that $x + 1$ is the gcd (I use "the" here, because $F_2$ only HAS one unit, 1), it suffices to show $x^2 + 1$ does not divide $x^3 + 1$. I leave it to you to devise $a(x),b(x)$ a little algebraic tinkering should show you the proper polynomials to pick.

My main problem is finding a(x), and b(x), and I still don't know how.

crypt50 said:
My main problem is finding a(x), and b(x), and I still don't know how.

You can read it off from the extended euclidean algorithm I showed.
Take each coefficient mod 2.
Then the algorithm stops a couple of lines earlier, where the value 2 was found, which is actually 0 (mod 2).
The line before that line shows the gcd, a(x), and b(x).

Yes, that works, and is the "rote" way to find it (no real thinking is required).

For example, we first divide $x^3 + 1$ by $x^2 + 1$ obtaining:

$x^3 + 1 = x(x^2 + 1) + x + 1$ (step one)

$x^2 + 1 = (x + 1)(x + 1) + 0$ (step two)

as this has a remainder of 0, we "back up one step" and find the gcd is $x + 1$:

$x + 1 = x^3 + 1 - x(x^2 + 1) = x^3 + 1 + x(x^2 + 1)$

(because in $F_2, 1 = -1$), which tells us that $a(x) = x, b(x) = 1$.

As I remarked earlier, though, just by "playing around" one quickly discovers that:

$x(x^2 + 1) + (1)(x^3 + 1) = x^3 + x + x^3 + 1 = 2x^3 + x + 1 = x + 1$.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between f(x) and g(x)?

The main difference between f(x) and g(x) is the exponent used in each function. While f(x) has an exponent of 2, g(x) has an exponent of 3. This means that g(x) will have a steeper curve and increase at a faster rate compared to f(x).

2. Can f(x) and g(x) be added or subtracted?

Yes, f(x) and g(x) can be added or subtracted since they both have the same variable, x. However, the resulting function would not have a specific name and would just be referred to as f(x) + g(x) or f(x) - g(x).

3. What are the roots of f(x) and g(x)?

The roots of a function are the values of x that make the function equal to zero. In this case, the roots of f(x) would be -1 since (-1)^2 + 1 = 0, and the roots of g(x) would be -1 and 0 since (-1)^3 + 1 = 0 and (0)^3 + 1 = 0.

4. Are f(x) and g(x) inverses of each other?

No, f(x) and g(x) are not inverses of each other. In order for two functions to be inverses, the composition of the two functions should result in the identity function, which is f(g(x)) = x. However, f(g(x)) = (x^3 + 1)^2 + 1 ≠ x, therefore f(x) and g(x) are not inverses.

5. How can f(x) and g(x) be graphed?

To graph f(x) and g(x), you can plot points on a coordinate plane by plugging in different values of x and solving for y. Another method is to use a graphing calculator or software to plot the functions automatically. The graphs of f(x) and g(x) would be parabolas and cubic curves, respectively.