Letter of rec from research advisor or professor

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of having a letter of recommendation from a research advisor for graduate school applications. The individual is currently working with a research advisor who does not know them well, but they plan to include this experience in their application along with letters from other advisors and classroom instructors. The first question is whether a letter from a research advisor is better than one from a classroom instructor, and the second question is whether not having letters from every advisor will affect the application. The response emphasizes that the content of the letter is more important than who writes it and encourages the individual to choose recommenders based on their potential to write a strong letter.
lonewolf219
I know having a letter of recommendation from a research advisor is great. However, the research advisor I am currently working with barely knows me. He will be my advisor for about 5 more weeks, but I do not see him suddenly becoming interested in my project (I'm working with the postdoc), or interested in me/my goals.

I plan to include this research experience in my graduate school applications. I will also have letters from other advisors I have done research with (I don't want to ask each advisor to write 8 letters, so I was going to include classroom instructors to spread it out)

First question: Is a letter from a research advisor who barely knows me better than a letter from a classroom instructor who does?

Second question: Will a committee look at my research experience and wonder why there are not letters from every advisor in my application?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What matters more than who writes the letter is what the letter says. You need to select people based on your best estimate of that.

Vanadium 50, thanks for your perspective ... Your wisdom is always appreciated !

1. What is a letter of recommendation from a research advisor or professor?

A letter of recommendation from a research advisor or professor is a written statement that highlights your academic achievements, research experience, and personal qualities. It is typically requested as part of a graduate school or job application.

2. Why is a letter of recommendation from a research advisor or professor important?

A letter of recommendation from a research advisor or professor is important because it provides insight into your skills, abilities, and potential as a researcher. It also serves as a reference from someone who has worked closely with you and can speak to your qualifications and character.

3. How do I ask my research advisor or professor for a letter of recommendation?

To ask your research advisor or professor for a letter of recommendation, it is best to approach them in person or through email. Be sure to provide them with information about the program or position you are applying for, along with your current resume or CV. It is also helpful to remind them of specific projects or accomplishments you have worked on together.

4. What should be included in a letter of recommendation from a research advisor or professor?

A letter of recommendation from a research advisor or professor should include an introduction, a description of your relationship, an evaluation of your academic and research abilities, and specific examples of your accomplishments and contributions. It should also highlight your personal qualities, such as your work ethic, critical thinking skills, and communication abilities.

5. How can I ensure a strong letter of recommendation from my research advisor or professor?

To ensure a strong letter of recommendation from your research advisor or professor, it is important to maintain a positive and professional relationship with them. This includes actively participating in research projects, asking for feedback and guidance, and showing your commitment and passion for your field of study. It is also helpful to provide them with all the necessary information and materials in a timely manner.