Lever with offset pivot problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a lever with a gas compression spring and the desire to find the force acting on the spring, F1, for a given initial force @ F0. The solution involves reducing the problem to a static one and using trigonometry to find the length y. However, in a dynamic situation, y will vary and F1 can be plotted over a range of angles to find a solution.
conneem

Homework Statement

I have a situation a shown in the diagram below. A lever with a gas compression spring opposing it's turning. I want to find the force acting on the spring, F1, for a given inital force @ F0.

[PLAIN]http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/9830/lever01.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't think this is a trivial lever problem but I may be wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

You're right. It's not trivial.

How do you plan to solve it?

I have reduced it to a static problem and am looking at the initial configuration as drawn above, before any movement.

In this situation I believe that F1 can be worked out by introducing an imaginary lever, as shown below and balancing the moments i.e.

(F0)(5x) = (F1)(y)

where y can be found by trigonometry using similar triangles.

However if we revert the problem back to a dynamic one, the length y will change as the system turn and the spring compresses, so for a constant force F0, F1 will vary. However I think you could plot this out over a certain turning angle, by just selecting a range of angles and calculating y for that configuration and thus F1.

I appreciate any comments :smile:

[PLAIN]http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/8334/lever02.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Lever with offset pivot problem

1. What is a lever with offset pivot problem?

A lever with offset pivot problem refers to a situation in which the pivot point of a lever is not aligned with the direction of the applied force, causing the lever to be less efficient in its operation.

2. How does a lever with offset pivot problem affect the performance of a lever?

A lever with offset pivot problem can decrease the mechanical advantage of the lever, making it harder to lift or move objects. It can also cause the lever to be less stable and more prone to breaking under heavy loads.

3. What are some common causes of a lever with offset pivot problem?

A lever with offset pivot problem can be caused by a misaligned or loose pivot point, a bent or damaged lever arm, or an incorrect placement of the load on the lever.

4. How can a lever with offset pivot problem be fixed?

The most effective way to fix a lever with offset pivot problem is to realign the pivot point with the direction of the applied force. This can be done by adjusting the position of the pivot or by using a straighter lever arm. It is also important to ensure that the load is placed in the correct position on the lever.

5. Can a lever with offset pivot problem be prevented?

Yes, a lever with offset pivot problem can be prevented by regularly checking and maintaining the pivot point and lever arm, and being mindful of the placement of the load on the lever. Using high-quality materials and properly designing the lever can also help prevent this issue.