Levers, torque and the (non?) linear relationship

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equations and a scale model to determine the relationship between length of lever and force applied. The answer may not be linear and the direction of the force in relation to the axis of rotation should be specified. The link provided may be helpful in solving this type of problem.
hlock
Homework Statement
What is the relative force applied to the bar bend to 45 degrees?
Relevant Equations
unknown
I'm unsure what equation to use to achieve this. My solution was to draw a scale model and measure the distance offset from the bar and how relative that was to the same length bar bent to 90 degrees.

My answer was 70.8% assuming a linear relationship between length of lever and force (is that right?). I've made the possibly incorrect assumption that if you double the length of a lever you double the force.

The answer requires a descriptive answer relating angle to force applied, so to me it doesn't appear linear (or it would be 50%?) but what is it? How best describes the relationship?

Attachments

• levers.jpg
    levers.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This type of problems should always define the axis of rotation, as well as the direction of the force in relation to that axis.
The schematic shows percentages of torque at one end, but at the same time asks about intensity of applied force.
It seems to me that they should assume the same force is applied for the three cases.

1. What is a lever?

A lever is a simple machine consisting of a rigid bar or beam that is supported at a fixed point, called the fulcrum, and used to exert a force or apply torque. It is commonly used to lift or move heavy objects with less effort.

2. How does a lever work?

A lever works by using the principle of torque, which is the rotational force applied to an object. When a force is applied to one end of the lever, it creates a torque that is transferred to the other end, allowing for the object to be moved or lifted.

3. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis or pivot point. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied. Torque is commonly measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

4. Is there a linear relationship between force and torque?

No, there is not a linear relationship between force and torque. As the distance from the pivot point increases, the amount of force needed to create the same amount of torque decreases. This means that the relationship between force and torque is non-linear.

5. How does the length of a lever affect its torque?

The length of a lever affects its torque by changing the amount of force needed to create the same amount of torque. A longer lever will require less force to create the same amount of torque as a shorter lever. This is because the longer lever has a greater distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied, resulting in a greater torque.