Levi-Civita Symbol Exchange: LT or Leprous Tyrannosaurus?

• Thread starter PAllen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Humor
In summary, the conversation on a SR forum was about the Levi-Civita symbol and the use of pseudotensors in transformations. The original poster asked for clarification on the abbreviation "LT" and another user responded with the possible meanings of Lorentz Transformation and Leprous Tyrannosaurus. The discussion continued with a question about the second option being an English name.
PAllen
Science Advisor
Unintended?? humor?

An exchange from SR forum (couldn't respond without getting in trouble):

----------------------
Re: Levi-Civita symbol
Originally Posted by clem View Post

A pseudotensor has the determinant of the LT included in its transformation.
This gives a minus sign compare to the transformation of a true tensor.
If a pseudotensor is combined with another pseudotensor, the determinant is squared and always gives +1.

What does LT stand for? Thank you!

Lorentz Transformation, or Leprous Tyrannosaurus. I think here the first one is ment.

Originally Posted by haushofer View Post

Lorentz Transformation, or Leprous Tyrannosaurus. I think here the first one is ment.

Should be the first one. Is the second one an English name?
---------------------

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=567872

Physics news on Phys.org

And what I wanted to respond was:

Yes, its a common nickname for an MP.

I think both the posts
-----------------------------------
Lorentz Transformation, or Leprous Tyrannosaurus. I think here the first one is ment.Re: Levi-Civita symbol
Originally Posted by haushofer View Post

Should be the first one. Is the second one an English name?
-----------------------
The first one obviously, and the second making a comment on some of the bizarre names that now appear.

1. What is the Levi-Civita symbol?

The Levi-Civita symbol, also known as the permutation symbol, is a mathematical symbol used to represent the sign of a permutation of a set of numbers. It is commonly denoted by the Greek letter epsilon (ε) and is used in vector calculus and differential geometry.

2. How is the Levi-Civita symbol used in exchange notation?

In exchange notation, the Levi-Civita symbol is used to represent the exchange of two indices in a tensor. This is often denoted by the symbol LT or Leprous Tyrannosaurus, where the indices to be exchanged are placed below the symbol. This is commonly used in physics and engineering applications.

3. What is the significance of using LT or Leprous Tyrannosaurus in exchange notation?

The use of LT or Leprous Tyrannosaurus in exchange notation is a convenient and compact way to represent the exchange of indices in a tensor. It allows for concise and clear representation of mathematical equations and makes calculations easier and more efficient.

4. Can the Levi-Civita symbol be used in higher dimensions?

Yes, the Levi-Civita symbol can be extended to higher dimensions. In three dimensions, it takes the values of 0, 1, or -1 depending on the order of the indices. In higher dimensions, it takes on more values, but follows the same rules as in three dimensions.

5. Are there any alternative notations for the Levi-Civita symbol?

Yes, there are a few alternative notations for the Levi-Civita symbol, including the notation using the symbol "εijk" and the notation using the symbol "δijk". However, the use of LT or Leprous Tyrannosaurus in exchange notation is a commonly used and accepted notation in physics and engineering.