Upper- and lower-index Levi-Civita tensor/symbol

• Thread starter bcrowell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Levi-civita
In summary: I'm not sure what you mean by "path-dependence of parallel transport." If you change paths, you just get a tensor that is related to the original one by a Lorentz transformation.In summary, the conversation discusses the different definitions of the Levi-Civita tensor, also known as the Levi-Civita symbol. MTW defines it as a tensor with values of -1, 0, and +1 in a Cartesian frame, while Wikipedia defines it as a tensor density with values of -1, 0, and +1 in any coordinate system. The difference in sign between the two definitions is consistent with ordinary raising and lowering of coordinates. The conversation also mentions the issue of global orientability and parallel transport
bcrowell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
MTW p. 87 defines what they refer to as a Levi-Civita tensor with [itex]\epsilon^{\kappa\lambda\mu\nu}=-\epsilon_{\kappa\lambda\mu\nu}[/itex]. They define its components to have values of -1, 0, and +1 in some arbitrarily chosen Cartesian frame, in which case it won't have those values under a general change of coordinates, although it will keep them under a Lorentz transformation. The difference in sign between the upper- and lower-indices version is consistent with what you'd expect from ordinary raising and lowering of coordinates.

Wikipedia has an article "Levi-Civita symbol," which defines it as a tensor density with [itex]\epsilon^{\kappa\lambda\mu\nu}=\epsilon_{\kappa\lambda\mu\nu}[/itex]. Their definition implies that it has values of -1, 0, and +1 in any coordinate system. Under this definition it doesn't transform like a tensor, which would presumably be why they call it the "symbol."

MTW don't define a Levi-Civita symbol, and WP doesn't have an article on a Levi-Civita tensor.

So all the terminology seems totally self-consistent in both cases, but the same equation would have different transformation properties depending on whose definition of [itex]\epsilon[/itex] you were using.

Is one way of defining [itex]\epsilon[/itex] more standard than the other? Are there big advantages to one over the other?

Physics news on Phys.org
I prefer to use the "Levi-Civita symbol" whose values are {-1, 0, 1} in every coordinate system. If I need to make it a tensor, I put in an explicit metric determinant:

[tex]\sqrt{|g|} \; \epsilon_{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}[/tex]

However, I prefer to write things in terms of differential forms and index-free notation, so the above is simply the volume form

[tex]\omega = \frac1{4!} \; \epsilon_{abcd} \; \theta^a \wedge \theta^b \wedge \theta^c \wedge \theta^d[/tex]

where the thetas are the orthonormal frame.

Other people prefer the epsilon symbol to be a tensor. I think this is more typical of people who prefer abstract-index notation; this way, every object with indices is a tensor (except the connection).

I don't think there is a standard either way. Most papers will state which convention they are using. Most papers I've seen use the first convention (with {-1, 0, 1} in all coordinates). I think there is an advantage to this, as then one knows exactly how to do contractions with the epsilon symbol independently of any metric.

Some books even attempt to use both conventions, defining

[tex]\tilde{\epsilon}_{\mu\nu\rho\sigma} = \sqrt{|g|} \; \epsilon_{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}[/tex]

I think this only gets confusing, though.

Thanks, Ben, that's very helpful!

Another issue that occurs to me is that it's not obvious whether a tensor version could be defined globally. In some small neighborhood, it can be defined by parallel transporting it from the point at which it was originally defined. But if you go to a larger region, the path-dependence of parallel transport makes bigger and bigger ambiguities, and I can also imagine that some spacetimes would lack global orientability.

-Ben

bcrowell said:
Another issue that occurs to me is that it's not obvious whether a tensor version could be defined globally. In some small neighborhood, it can be defined by parallel transporting it from the point at which it was originally defined. But if you go to a larger region, the path-dependence of parallel transport makes bigger and bigger ambiguities, and I can also imagine that some spacetimes would lack global orientability.

Remember that the metric is not necessarily defined globally, either. But the volume form is a tensor and is defined throughout the coordinate patch on which the metric is defined. Orientability comes into play when you try to stitch multiple patches together via transition functions.

I don't really see what this has to do with parallel transport, though.

1. What is the Levi-Civita tensor/symbol?

The Levi-Civita tensor/symbol is a mathematical object used in vector calculus and differential geometry. It is commonly denoted by the Greek letter epsilon (ε) and is defined as a fully antisymmetric tensor of rank n, where n is the dimension of the vector space. In simpler terms, it is a mathematical tool used to simplify and generalize vector and tensor operations.

2. What is the purpose of the Levi-Civita tensor/symbol?

The main purpose of the Levi-Civita tensor/symbol is to simplify vector and tensor operations in higher dimensions. It allows for the calculation of cross products, dot products, and determinants in a concise and efficient manner. It is also used in various physical and mathematical theories, such as electromagnetism and general relativity.

3. What is the difference between the upper and lower-index Levi-Civita tensor/symbol?

The upper-index Levi-Civita tensor is used to represent the orientation of a coordinate system, while the lower-index Levi-Civita tensor is used to represent the orientation of a basis. In other words, the upper-index tensor is used for defining orientation in space, while the lower-index tensor is used for defining orientation in a vector space.

4. How is the Levi-Civita tensor/symbol used in physics?

The Levi-Civita tensor is used in physics to simplify and generalize equations involving vector and tensor operations. It is commonly used in electromagnetism to describe the magnetic field in terms of the electric field. It is also used in general relativity to describe the curvature of spacetime.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the Levi-Civita tensor/symbol?

Yes, the Levi-Civita tensor has many real-life applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It is used in image processing and computer graphics to calculate the cross product of two vectors. It is also used in fluid dynamics to describe the vorticity of a fluid. Additionally, it is used in machine learning algorithms for feature extraction and classification.