LHCb observes 5 new particles (excited hadrons)

In summary, five particles have been found that have never been seen before. The significance of these particles is about 20 sigma. A broad 6th state might be around 3200 MeV.
Plain old standard model baryons, but 5 at the same time, and with crystal clear peaks in the decay to ##\Xi_c^+ K^-##. Each peak in the figure is a particle never seen before, and the significances of those peaks are about 20 sigma (10 sigma for the 5th one). A broad 6th state might hide around 3200 MeV.

Based on the quark content (charm strange strange), all those particles are excited ##\Omega_c^0## states. The ground state and one excited state have been known before.

News at the LHCb website
Publication at arXiv

OmegaFig2_s.png

Likes BiGyElLoWhAt, Amrator, Dr. Courtney and 9 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Can the excited hadrons be used to constrain BSM models or similar in any useful way, or is it mainly just dotting the i's?

It can help to understand QCD at low energies better. The predictions for excited states are often quite inaccurate. No BSM physics.

Here is an example for excited charmonium states. See the mass vs. JPC diagram: Yellow are predicted and discovered states, nearly all are below the threshold to decay to two charmed mesons. Grey are predicted but undiscovered states - most predicted states at higher energies have not been found. Red are discovered but unpredicted states which don't fit in the predicted pattern. And finally there are the tetraquarks in purple which also don't fit in.

Likes Dr. Courtney and Lord Crc
From a low-energy QCD perspective, this is very interesting: these particles are protons, but with every light quark replaced by a heavy one. That let's one separate effects due to quark mass and effects not due to quark mass. For this, the mass differences are more important than the absolute masses, and I would hope LHCb would make these public soon.

Likes Dr. Courtney
You get a conservative uncertainty if you assume that both statistical and systematic uncertainty are uncorrelated, and treat the uncertainty from the ##\Xi## mass as fully correlated (because it is, obviously). The uncertainties on the masses are between 0.15 MeV and 0.9 MeV, the mass differences are between 15 and 120 MeV. A ~2% uncertainty on the mass differences with conservative assumptions. Is that too large?

interesting again... I envy LHCb a little (it always discovers something- of course not 100% revolutionary)...

Likes Dr. Courtney
mfb said:
Is that too large?

I don't do that kind of physics, but those who do tell me that they want the errors as small as possible. How much can they do with a 2% error that they couldn't do with a 3% error? Hard to tell. That said, it should be relatively easy for LHCb to do this: instead of m1..m5 being the fit variables, fot m1, (m2-m1), (m3-m2), etc. and repropagate the systematics.

Likes Dr. Courtney
it is really interesting discovery. I am doing the quark model for charmed baryon. it enriches the charmed baryon spectroscopy.
According model, we expect those states are negative parity states (L=1). I hope I can get a good result soon.

Likes mfb

1. What is LHCb and what does it do?

LHCb stands for Large Hadron Collider beauty experiment, which is one of the four main experiments at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. LHCb specifically studies the behavior of particles containing the beauty quark, also known as the bottom quark.

2. What are the 5 new particles observed by LHCb?

The 5 new particles observed by LHCb are excited hadrons, which are particles made up of quarks that are in an excited state. These particles are named Ωb(6316), Ωb(6330), Ωb(6340), Ωb(6350), and Ωb(6366).

3. Why is the discovery of these particles important?

The discovery of these particles is important because it provides further evidence for the existence of excited hadrons, which were predicted by the quark model but had not been observed until now. This discovery also helps scientists better understand the behavior of quarks and how they form different types of particles.

4. How were these particles observed by LHCb?

The particles were observed by analyzing data from the LHCb detector, which is specifically designed to study particles containing the beauty quark. The detector measures the properties of the particles produced in high-energy collisions at the LHC and can identify the different particles based on their unique signatures.

5. What are the potential implications of this discovery?

The discovery of these particles could have implications for our understanding of the strong nuclear force, which is responsible for holding quarks together to form particles. It could also lead to further discoveries and advancements in particle physics, helping us to better understand the fundamental building blocks of the universe.