Li-ion Discharge Rates: Answers to DIY Battery Jump Starter Questions

In summary: It likely has a specialized circuit that allows for a high discharge rate without damaging the batteries. These specialized circuits can be difficult to replicate as a DIY project. Overall, it is impressive how these jump starter modules are able to provide such high amperage without damaging the batteries. In summary, jump starter modules such as the JunoJUMPR use specialized circuits to achieve high amperage without damaging the batteries. These circuits can be difficult to replicate as a DIY project.
gideon0223
More of a general question but thought I'd post it here.

Motorcycles are notorious for losing battery charge and not starting requiring a jump or rolling start.
Was looking to get one of these new Li-ion battery / jump start modules capable of starting a car (and charging a phone or tablet). Something like this one: http://junopower.com/collections/automobile/products/junojumpr-black-most-portable-jump-starter

My question is how do you think they are achieving this high amperage out of these batteries without damaging them? I am totally guessing its something like 6 Li-ion cells in there 3 in series and 2 parallel sets of 3 or something to get around 300 amps (6600mah) and 12+ Volts- I assume something like a 30C discharge rate for short bursts or is there some type of circuit you can design with capacitors to get you the amps you need without lowering the voltage?

How hard would it be to build one of these as a DIY project?

I ask purely out of curiosity. Thanks in advance guys...

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
It isn't hard to make circuit with inductors and capacitors charged slowly by batteries, and then quickly discharged through low impedance nework. But start modules designed to perform specific tasks you describe are not so trivial.

Yeah, I guess I was asking more along the lines of:
Do you think this is a bunch of caps doing this? (Seems really thin for that)
Or do you think this is just some high discharge li-ion cells wired together to get the 300amps?

I highly doubt you'll find just battery cells inside

I cannot provide an opinion on a specific product. However, I can explain the general principles behind Li-ion discharge rates and how they may relate to jump starters.

Li-ion batteries are known for their high energy density and relatively low self-discharge rate. However, their discharge rate, or the rate at which they can release energy, is limited. This is because the chemical reactions within the battery that produce electricity have a certain speed limit. Going beyond this limit can cause damage to the battery and potentially lead to overheating or even fire.

To achieve a high amperage output, as in the case of jump starters, manufacturers may use a combination of techniques. One approach is to use multiple cells in parallel, as you mentioned, to increase the overall current output. Additionally, they may use specialized circuitry to regulate the discharge rate and prevent the battery from being damaged. This could include using capacitors or other components to temporarily store and release energy in bursts, as you suggested.

Building a DIY Li-ion jump starter would require a great deal of knowledge and expertise in battery chemistry, electrical engineering, and safety protocols. It is not recommended to attempt this without proper training and understanding of the potential risks involved. It is always best to purchase a product from a reputable manufacturer that has undergone rigorous testing and safety certifications.

1. What is a Li-ion battery discharge rate?

A Li-ion battery discharge rate refers to the rate at which the battery releases its stored energy. It is typically measured in amps, and can vary depending on factors such as the battery's capacity, age, and temperature.

2. How does the discharge rate affect battery life?

A higher discharge rate can decrease the overall lifespan of a Li-ion battery. This is because high discharge rates can cause the battery to heat up and degrade faster. It is recommended to use a lower discharge rate to prolong the life of the battery.

3. Can I use a DIY battery jump starter with different discharge rates?

Yes, you can use a DIY battery jump starter with different discharge rates. However, it is important to consider the discharge rate of the battery you are trying to jump start. A battery with a higher discharge rate may require a higher capacity jump starter to effectively jump start it.

4. How can I improve the discharge rate of my Li-ion battery?

To improve the discharge rate of your Li-ion battery, you can try using a battery with a higher capacity. This will allow the battery to release its energy at a slower rate, reducing the risk of overheating and extending its lifespan. Additionally, keeping the battery at a moderate temperature can also improve its discharge rate.

5. What happens if I discharge my Li-ion battery too quickly?

If a Li-ion battery is discharged too quickly, it can cause the battery to overheat and potentially damage its internal components. This can lead to a decrease in battery capacity and overall lifespan. It is important to use a proper charging and discharging method to avoid damaging the battery.