Life expectancy of Aqueous Flux going LowZ

In summary, it seems that if the flux residue is cleaned up properly, there shouldn't be any problems with the component's reliability.
edwardtre
Looking for any life expectancy data for water soluble flux going low Z. How long it takes for conductive material to migrate and cause low impedance bridges at any humidity or temperature.

Engineering news on Phys.org
edwardtre said:
Looking for any life expectancy data for water soluble flux going low Z. How long it takes for conductive material to migrate and cause low impedance bridges at any humidity or temperature.

Welcome to the PF.

Are you asking specifically just about the flux aspect, or about dendritic migration of copper in general?

I did a Google search on dendritic migration pc board, and got some good hits:

https://www.google.com/search?sourc..._l=hp...0i22i30l5.0.0.1.13565...0.YrpWiZego6U

Once you have a voltage difference between conductors of a couple of volts or so, you can get dendritic migration to happen in a few hundred hours, depending on temperature and PC board cleanliness...

Thanks for the response. Specifically the conductive material that is part of the flux. Need to consider expected failure rate of a component with water soluble flux (OA) residue left under a BGA (BGA too large to allow for complete removal of flux (45mm part). Though I guess it could be a combination of the flux and exposed copper...

edwardtre said:
Thanks for the response. Specifically the conductive material that is part of the flux. Need to consider expected failure rate of a component with water soluble flux (OA) residue left under a BGA (BGA too large to allow for complete removal of flux (45mm part). Though I guess it could be a combination of the flux and exposed copper...

It seems like there should be some good PCBA industry studies on this. I Googled bga reliability pcb cleaning, and got some good hits. Maybe have a look at the hit list to see if you see any new information:

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...cleaning&gs_l=hp...0.0.0.9110...0.epKIo8N_xH8

:smile:

Related to Life expectancy of Aqueous Flux going LowZ

1. What is the definition of "Life expectancy of Aqueous Flux going LowZ"?

The life expectancy of Aqueous Flux going LowZ refers to the amount of time that the flux will remain effective and stable in its aqueous form before it begins to degrade and lose its effectiveness.

2. What factors affect the life expectancy of Aqueous Flux going LowZ?

There are several factors that can affect the life expectancy of Aqueous Flux going LowZ including temperature, exposure to air and light, and the type and concentration of impurities present in the flux.

3. How can I determine the life expectancy of Aqueous Flux going LowZ?

The life expectancy of Aqueous Flux going LowZ can be determined through testing and analysis of the flux under various conditions. This can include accelerated aging tests and monitoring the flux's performance over time.

4. What are the consequences of using Aqueous Flux with a low life expectancy?

Using Aqueous Flux with a low life expectancy can result in poor soldering performance, decreased efficiency, and potential damage to electronic components. It can also lead to increased maintenance and replacement costs.

5. How can I extend the life expectancy of Aqueous Flux going LowZ?

To extend the life expectancy of Aqueous Flux going LowZ, it is important to store it properly in a cool, dry place and avoid exposure to air and light. Regular maintenance and testing can also help identify and address any issues that may affect the flux's performance and life expectancy.