Phone coming back to life after being exposed to saltwater

• Thread starter greypilgrim
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possible damage caused by water to a phone that was kept in a waterproof pouch while swimming. The phone initially showed some signs of damage, but later started functioning normally. However, the next day it was unable to detect SIM cards, raising concerns about potential corrosion. The experts suggest that even if the phone appears to be working, it may still have internal damage that could lead to malfunctions in the future. They advise taking precautions such as backing up the phone and having it professionally cleaned or trading it in soon.
greypilgrim
Hi.

I went swimming with my phone (turned on) in one of those waterproof pouches. After a while, I noticed a bit of water inside, went to the shore, took it out and dried it. It still seemed to be working, but not for long: it turned off. What happened next:
  1. First it would not turn on at all.
  2. Then it would only go to the (Huawei) splash screen.
  3. About 15 min later, it would turn on and be fully functional.
  4. The next morning, it would not see any of the two SIM cards anymore, but everything else worked.
  5. The next day it was fully functional again, and has remained so for the last four days.
So what happened here? The water doesn't seem to have caused permanent damage (yet). Are functions turned off if the circuit detects that something is wrong?

I'll probably still have to expect the phone to break at some point due to corrosion...

Engineering news on Phys.org
In electronics, corrosion caused by water is a difficult beast. If the primary dose hit some working electronics, then it'll turn some metals into salts and oxides, and these are often hygroscopic => even if the first dose dried out (and so the electronics could be turned on) it'll draw in new water from the air and depending on luck and moisture level it'll produce some kind of 'am I in the mood to to work today?' spirit.

If the battery was not removed immediately (and, even worse: it was kept working) before drying out completely (and that may take days, in a very dry, and possibly: warm environment), then likely it won't last long.

The internal protection (if any) failed yet survived without the usual drying-out-in-a-bag-of-rice trick. Amazing. I had this happen to an iPod that fell in a pool, then years later got it to work. The conductive salts with moisture can induce all sorts of fault conditions and yet be relatively high impedance if perfectly dry and not rusted (oxide)

Plan on backing up, get a pro cleanup or trading it in real soon.

1. How does saltwater damage a phone?

Saltwater is highly conductive and corrosive, which can short-circuit and corrode the internal components of a phone, causing it to malfunction or completely stop working.

2. Can a phone be revived after being exposed to saltwater?

It is possible for a phone to be revived after being exposed to saltwater, but it depends on the extent of the damage and how quickly it is treated. The longer the exposure, the less likely the phone can be saved.

3. What should I do if my phone gets exposed to saltwater?

If your phone gets exposed to saltwater, immediately turn it off and do not attempt to turn it on or charge it. Rinse the phone with fresh water to remove any salt residue and then dry it completely. It is also recommended to take it to a professional for further assessment and repair.

4. How long should I wait before trying to turn on my phone after it has been exposed to saltwater?

It is important to wait at least 48 hours before attempting to turn on your phone after it has been exposed to saltwater. This allows enough time for the phone to dry completely and for any remaining moisture to evaporate.

5. Is there any way to prevent saltwater damage to a phone?

The best way to prevent saltwater damage to a phone is to avoid exposing it to saltwater in the first place. If you are near saltwater, make sure to keep your phone in a waterproof case or in a safe place away from potential exposure. If your phone does get exposed, acting quickly and properly can increase the chances of revival.