Light and Reflections in Space

In summary, the individual is reading Feynman's book on QED and came across the concept of light reflection. They are curious if there is a place in the universe where there is a thick concentration of matter or energy that causes light to reflect, such as a Reflection Nebula.
Marc_72
I am reading Feynman's book on QED and something struck me about light. I know that we can only calculate the probability of where a photon goes. After that I came across how a partial reflection affects light. My question is, is there a place in the universe where there is a great thickness of matter or energy that light reflects off of?p.s I apologize in advance if I am in the wrong forum.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Do you mean like a Reflection Nebula? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflection_nebula

200px-Reflection.nebula.arp.750pix.jpg

Attachments

• 200px-Reflection.nebula.arp.750pix.jpg
    200px-Reflection.nebula.arp.750pix.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 617
Likes Marc_72
Marc_72 said:
where there is a great thickness of matter or energy that light reflects off of?

You don't have to go very far. Gold can be formed into very thin sheets several millionths of an inch thick and it will reflect most of the light incident upon it.

HTB16SAISXXXXXXQXXXXq6xXFXXXQ.jpg

But I am pretty sure that is not what you were thinking?

Attachments

• HTB16SAISXXXXXXQXXXXq6xXFXXXQ.jpg
    HTB16SAISXXXXXXQXXXXq6xXFXXXQ.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 398
Likes Marc_72

1. What is light and how does it travel in space?

Light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that can be seen by the human eye. It is composed of tiny particles called photons which have no mass. In space, light travels in a straight line until it is either absorbed or reflected by an object.

2. How do we see reflections in space?

Reflections in space occur when light from a source, such as a star or planet, bounces off of a surface and reaches our eyes. This can happen with objects such as planets, moons, and even spacecraft. The angle of reflection is equal to the angle of incidence, meaning the light bounces off at the same angle it hits the surface at.

3. Can light be affected by gravity in space?

Yes, light can be affected by gravity in space. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity can bend and distort the path of light. This is known as gravitational lensing and can be observed when light from distant objects is bent around massive objects such as galaxies or black holes.

4. How does light behave differently in the vacuum of space compared to on Earth?

In the vacuum of space, light travels at a constant speed of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This is known as the speed of light. On Earth, light can be slowed down or absorbed by particles in the atmosphere, causing it to travel at a slightly lower speed. Additionally, the lack of air in space means that there is no medium for light to refract through, resulting in straighter paths of light.

5. How do we use light and reflections in space exploration?

Light and reflections play a crucial role in space exploration. Scientists use telescopes to capture and analyze light from distant objects in space. Reflections can also be used to gather information about the surfaces of planets, moons, and other celestial bodies. In addition, spacecraft use reflective materials to help regulate temperatures and power solar panels to generate electricity using the sun's light.