Light angles measured in a moving reference frame

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the "true" and "light" angles of Star A and Star B in Frame S using Lorentz transformations. The angles are found to be 71.57 degrees and 45 degrees for Star A, and 80.04 degrees and 62.21 degrees for Star B, respectively. However, the calculation for the angles measured when the light was emitted (part d) results in 23.2 degrees for Star A and 13.4 degrees for Star B. The individual is struggling with this calculation and is seeking help.
meriadoc
I've managed to get through all of this question without trouble until part d).

The full question is given here:

O4iQt.png

I've calculated the "true" angles of Star A and Star B as 71.57 degrees and 45 degrees respectively in Frame S, and the "light" angles should be the same, since the stars are stationary in frame S.

For part c), the "true" angles of the stars are found using Lorentz transformations to find x

[itex]x[/itex]′[itex]_A = \frac{x_A}{\gamma} = 0.527[/itex]

And similarly for B, yielding angles of 80.04 degrees and 62.21 degrees respectively.

However, I can't figure out how to calculate the angles to the stars when the light measured was emitted (part d). The answers are 23.2 degrees for Star A, and 13.4 degrees for Star B.

I should be able to do this calculation, but there's something I'm just not getting, I've been sitting on it for a while and need to move on. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with relativistic aberration? In any case, this thread belongs in one of the homework forums, so I'm moving it there.

Related to Light angles measured in a moving reference frame

1. What is a moving reference frame?

A moving reference frame is a frame of reference that is in motion relative to an observer. It is used to measure the position and motion of an object or phenomenon.

2. How do light angles change in a moving reference frame?

In a moving reference frame, the angle of light will appear to change due to the observer's motion. This is known as the aberration of light.

3. What is the effect of light angles measured in a moving reference frame?

The effect of measuring light angles in a moving reference frame is known as the aberration of light. This effect causes the apparent position of a light source to shift in the direction of the observer's motion.

4. How does the speed of the observer affect light angles in a moving reference frame?

The speed of the observer will affect the amount of change in light angles in a moving reference frame. The faster the observer's speed, the greater the angle change will appear.

5. Can light angles in a moving reference frame be used to measure the speed of an object?

Yes, light angles in a moving reference frame can be used to measure the speed of an object. By measuring the amount of change in light angles, the speed of the object can be calculated using the formula for aberration of light.