Light Bulb in a Box: Velocity Change After Release of Photon?

In summary, a box traveling at a certain velocity in space with a light bulb inside that can release one photon of light does not change its total energy when the light is released. However, the velocity of the box will decrease due to the conservation of energy. This hypothetical situation is not applicable in the real world and violates the laws of thermodynamics. There is no way to accurately define the velocity of the box and the use of light to move an object is limited, as shown by solar sails.
Matt Callicott

Homework Statement

[/B]
A box is traveling with a certain velocity in space. Inside the box is a light bulb, which is capable of releasing one photon of light. The light bulb harnesses the energy from the box; it does not require an outside power source but instead uses the energy on the system.

If the box is traveling with a velocity ν1 and then releases one photon of light (but does not change the total energy of the system since the light stays within the box) does the velocity of the box change?

* This is not a homework question but rather just individual thought. Thank you for any help!

Homework Equations

E = ½ Mv2[/B]

Ephoton ≠ 0

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Before the release of a photon: ETotal = ½M(v1)2

After the release of a photon: ETotal = ½M(v2)2 + Ephoton

Since Ephoton ≠ 0 and since ETotal is conserved, v2 < v1.

Thank you again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure, but I think this is impossible. You are using energy from a photon to increase the energy of a box which provided the energy in the first place. It reminds me of an attempt at a perpetual motion machine and I'm sure this violates the laws of thermodynamics.

lekh2003 said:
I'm not sure, but I think this is impossible. You are using energy from a photon to increase the energy of a box which provided the energy in the first place. It reminds me of an attempt at a perpetual motion machine and I'm sure this violates the laws of thermodynamics.

A small amount of energy of the box is being converted to the energy of the photon. The total energy is not increasing but rather being moved around. The system's energy is conserved.

Matt Callicott said:
A small amount of energy of the box is being converted to the energy of the photon. The total energy is not increasing but rather being moved around. The system's energy is conserved.
Ok, I think I get it. I'm curious how you are going to transfer the velocity into a photon. Sure, your calculations make sense, but how is this ever going to work or be used in the real world?

From my thinking, the velocity will decrease. I can't think of how this is at all useful.

lekh2003 said:
Ok, I think I get it. I'm curious how you are going to transfer the velocity into a photon. Sure, your calculations make sense, but how is this ever going to work or be used in the real world?

From my thinking, the velocity will decrease. I can't think of how this is at all useful.

It's not... at all. This is definitely not applicable, just like there is not or will be a box in space with a light bulb that can produce a single photon by only converting kinetic energy to light. But thank you for your response. This was used to clarify a foggy concept.

Matt Callicott said:
It's not... at all. This is definitely not applicable, just like there is not or will be a box in space with a light bulb that can produce a single photon by only converting kinetic energy to light. But thank you for your response. This was used to clarify a foggy concept.
I'm happy I could help o_O.

lekh2003 said:
I'm happy I could help o_O.
Sorry to restart the discussion, but considering all of the established theoreticals, what if the photon shot from the right side of the box to the left and hit the side of the box? Light has momentum, right? Wouldn't that affect the motion of the box in addition to the change in kinetic energy?

Thanks.

Matt Callicott said:
it does not require an outside power source but instead uses the energy on the system.
There is no way to do this. In the frame of reference of the box, there is no KE.

haruspex said:
There is no way to do this. In the frame of reference of the box, there is no KE.

I just did some searching on google... I found this similar question used as a derivation of E=mc^2

http://www.adamauton.com/warp/emc2.html

haruspex said:
Yes that is another limitation to your hypothetical. There is no way to accurately define the velocity of the box and whether it actually takes energy to move the box, so can the hypothetical energy really be used?
Matt Callicott said:
Light has momentum, right? Wouldn't that affect the motion of the box in addition to the change in kinetic energy?
Yes, it is possible to use light as a source of moving an object (although limited). Look here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_sail

Matt Callicott said:
I just did some searching on google... I found this similar question used as a derivation of E=mc^2

http://www.adamauton.com/warp/emc2.html
That is not using the KE of the box to emit the photon. Maybe that is not what you meant, but it is how I read your question.

haruspex said:
That is not using the KE of the box to emit the photon. Maybe that is not what you meant, but it is how I read your question.

Right.. Originally that was the aim of the question. However, as you pointed out, that is not possible. Not using KE makes more sense and is how I formed the question but while I was typing I added the KE conversion in there to try to make more sense (but it just added confusion).

Thanks.

1. How does the velocity of the light bulb change after the release of a photon?

The velocity of the light bulb does not change after the release of a photon. The velocity of the light bulb remains constant as it is a stationary object and does not have any mass or energy to be affected by the release of a photon.

2. What is the velocity of the photon released from the light bulb?

The velocity of the photon released from the light bulb is the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. This is a constant value and does not change regardless of the source of the photon.

3. Does the velocity of the light bulb affect the velocity of the photon released?

No, the velocity of the light bulb does not affect the velocity of the photon released. The speed of light is constant and does not depend on the velocity of the source. The photon will always travel at the speed of light, regardless of the velocity of the light bulb.

4. How does the release of a photon affect the energy of the light bulb?

The release of a photon does not affect the energy of the light bulb. The energy of the light bulb is determined by the amount of electrical energy it consumes and the type of light bulb it is. The release of a photon does not add or take away from this energy.

5. Can the velocity of the photon be changed after its release from the light bulb?

No, the velocity of the photon cannot be changed after its release from the light bulb. The speed of light is a fundamental constant and cannot be altered. However, the direction of the photon's travel can be changed by external forces such as gravity or collisions with other particles.