Light Refracted Through A Prism

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the angle between two emerging rays in a prism with a refractive index of 1.52 and angles of 23, 23, and 134 degrees. The conversation includes equations and attempts at solving the problem, and ultimately concludes that the rays must enter the prism perpendicular to the longest side in order to find the angle between the refracted rays.
ronny45
[SOLVED] Light Refracted Through A Prism

Homework Statement

Two parallel rays enter the longest side of a prism of refractive index 1.52. The prism is isosceles in shape and has angles of 23, 23 and 134 degrees. Assuming that the rays enter the prism on either side of the perpenical divider (ie at least half of the length of the prism side between them) what is the measure of the angle between the two emerging rays?

Homework Equations

n1sin(theta1)=n2sin(theta2)

The Attempt at a Solution

My biggest problem is that I'm not sure how to deal with the unknown angle of incidence or refraction. If I take n(air) = 1, then the above equation would read sin(angle of incidence)/sin(angle of refraction)=1.52 which just gives me another wording of Snell's Law. I've tried dealing with only half of the prism so I have a right-angled triangle with angles 23 and 67, but in truth I'm really not sure how to even approach this. Any help at all would be great. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose two parallel rays enter the longest side of a prism of refractive index 1.52 perpendicular to the longest side. They enter the prism without deviation.The angle of incedence on the other face is equal to 23 degree. Find the angle of refraction and angle of deviation for one ray. Double the deviation is the angle between the refracted rays.

This is where I had trouble... I wasn't sure I could assume that the rays were perpendicular to the prism, since the question doesn't specifically state this.

Sorry, my mistake, must read question more carefully! Thank you!

i didnt get it...

Related to Light Refracted Through A Prism

1. What is light refraction through a prism?

Light refraction through a prism is the phenomenon of light changing direction and bending as it passes through a transparent medium, such as a prism. This is due to the change in speed of light as it travels through different mediums.

2. How does a prism refract light?

A prism has two triangular faces and a rectangular base, which causes light to bend and split into its constituent colors as it passes through. This is due to the different angles at which the light rays hit each face, causing them to change direction.

3. What is the purpose of using a prism to refract light?

The purpose of using a prism to refract light is to create a spectrum of colors. This is useful in fields such as optics, where different wavelengths of light can be studied and analyzed.

4. How does the angle of incidence affect light refraction through a prism?

The angle of incidence, or the angle at which light enters the prism, determines the amount of refraction that will occur. The larger the angle of incidence, the greater the angle of refraction will be.

5. What are some real-world applications of light refraction through a prism?

Some real-world applications of light refraction through a prism include spectacles and lenses used in cameras, telescopes, and microscopes. Prisms are also used in spectroscopy to study the composition of materials based on the wavelengths of light they absorb and reflect.