Light speed and time in intergalactic space

In summary: But based on the theory of relativity, light would not experience time dilation due to its speed being constant. In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time dilation in relation to gravity and its effects on atomic clocks. The main question is whether light experiences time dilation when traveling through intergalactic space, and the answer is that according to the theory of relativity, it does not.
stilotto
I have to start by saying that I don't have any formal training in this space (no pun intended). Still, I had a thought and I hope someone here might be able to tell me if it is valid.

I read an article on Physorg about an experiment which showed that two atomic clocks showed different times because they were varying distances from the Earth's gravitational center. The clock 30cm further from the center of gravity ran more slowly. This prompts my question.

When light is traveling through intergalactic space, does it experience time that moves more slowly relative to us because it is so far from any gravitational source? So could light sort of move over great distances in a short time for it, but a long time for us? My conception is that time is "dragged" near galaxies and "streamlined" in the more empty parts of the universe.

Thanks for looking at this. If it is ignorant or silly, just let me know. It is just something that occurred to me.

Space news on Phys.org
If memory serves, light (or photons) don't experience time.

stilotto said:
I have to start by saying that I don't have any formal training in this space (no pun intended). Still, I had a thought and I hope someone here might be able to tell me if it is valid.

I read an article on Physorg about an experiment which showed that two atomic clocks showed different times because they were varying distances from the Earth's gravitational center. The clock 30cm further from the center of gravity ran more slowly. This prompts my question.
You got that backwards the clock further away will run faster
The relationship follows the following relation.

[tex]\sqrt{1-\frac{2GM}{rc^2}}[/tex]

This gives an answer that shows that time at the surface of the Earth runs at 0.9999999993
the rate that it does at a point in space totally removed from gravity. At this rate, it will take ~45 years for a 1 sec difference to accumulate between the clocks. This why you have to use atomic clocks to measure the difference, as they are very accurate.
When light is traveling through intergalactic space, does it experience time that moves more slowly relative to us because it is so far from any gravitational source? So could light sort of move over great distances in a short time for it, but a long time for us? My conception is that time is "dragged" near galaxies and "streamlined" in the more empty parts of the universe.

Thanks for looking at this. If it is ignorant or silly, just let me know. It is just something that occurred to me.

Another point that has already been made is that you can't really say how time passes for light because light itself doesn't have a valid reference frame.

Related to Light speed and time in intergalactic space

1. What is the speed of light in intergalactic space?

The speed of light in a vacuum is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This is the same in intergalactic space as there is no medium to slow down the speed of light.

2. How does the speed of light affect time in intergalactic space?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time is relative to the observer's frame of reference. As an object approaches the speed of light, time appears to slow down for that object. Therefore, for an object traveling at light speed in intergalactic space, time would appear to stand still.

3. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light in intergalactic space?

Based on our current understanding of physics, it is not possible for anything to travel faster than the speed of light in any space, including intergalactic space. This is because the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any form of energy or information can travel.

4. How does the concept of time dilation apply to intergalactic space travel?

Time dilation is the phenomenon where time appears to pass slower for objects in motion compared to objects at rest. This effect is most noticeable at speeds close to the speed of light. Therefore, for intergalactic space travel at high speeds, time dilation would occur, and the travelers would experience time passing slower compared to those on Earth.

5. Is it possible to travel through intergalactic space in a shorter amount of time than it takes light to reach the same destination?

While it is not possible to travel faster than the speed of light, it is theoretically possible to bend or warp space-time to create shortcuts in space. This concept, known as wormholes, is still purely theoretical and has not been observed or proven to exist. Therefore, at this time, it is not possible to travel through intergalactic space in a shorter amount of time than it takes light to reach the same destination.