Why does a stationary magnet cause plasma to spin ?

In summary: There is no spinning of the magnetic field in the video. The magnetic field is at a right angle to the velocity of the plasma, and that's what causes the spinning.
CyanGrinMonk
Hello, this is my first post, i only have what we call an O Level Physics here in the UK, but i have a strong layperson's interest in the subject, so I'm looking forward to picking the brains of the more educated people here.

My friend's professor showed him something very interesting, all to do with a plasma beer jug and a strong magnet.

The professor showed the student that, when he held a very large and strong (probably four inches long and most of an inch in diameter, judging by the scale in the video) Neodymium magnet above the jug, the plasma started spinning.

My question is, does the plasma spin because the magnetic field is spinning, or is it due to some interaction between the magnet and the charged base plate ?

Here are two videos showing the effect (there is a third in slow motion but i can't find it right now) :

All the best,

Gary.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

Check out the Lorentz Force at wikipedia or HyperPhysics. :smile:

Ahh, Lorentz force, as in the pulsed plasma drive NASA tested in 2000 ?

Blimey i didn't realize my photo would be my avatar, kind of throws a spanner in the works of my anagram user-name ;+}

CyanGrinMonk said:
Ahh, Lorentz force, as in the pulsed plasma drive NASA tested in 2000 ?

Beats me. The Lorenz Force is [tex]F = q(E + vxB)[/tex]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_force

CyanGrinMonk said:
Blimey i didn't realize my photo would be my avatar, kind of throws a spanner in the works of my anagram user-name ;+}
Your username is an anagram? I guess I need to look that word up again... :smile:

I don't understand how the Lorentz force could introduce spin, i thought it was like a vectored thrust ?

Unfortunately i haven't learned enough maths to fully understand the description of the Lorentz force in wikipedia or hyperphysics, though hyperphysics does a better job of explaining it to the layperson!

Fair enough. The key part of the Lorentz Force is that the force on a charged particle flying through a region of uniform magnetic field is at right angles to the velocity of the particle. So that makes the particle circulate around the lines of magnetic field -- kind of like swinging a mass around on a string. As long as the force is at a right angle to the velocity of the mass/particle, you get circular motion.

Does that make sense? The Lorentz Force equation is just a simple mathematical way of describing now the force is acting at a right angle to the velocity of the particle, which makes it a force toward the center of the circle that the charges are circulating around. :smile:

Thanks berkeman, so it's kind of gyroscopic in nature ?

That explains it very well now i think about it, it's a uniform magnetic field, so when it's inserted vertically into the jar then the plasma constantly spins because the field is at right angles to all of the plasma around it?

Re: anagrams :

http://wordsmith.org

Great site for some wordplay :)

CyanGrinMonk said:
Thanks berkeman, so it's kind of gyroscopic in nature ?

No, a gyroscope is a whole different thing. You can read about gyroscopes at wikipedia.

The most common use of the Lorentz force is in CRT TV displays. There is a varying magnetic field in the neck of the CRT that deflects the electron beam to paint the surface of the display with the varying intensity beam to form the 2-D picture. The Lorentz Force is what deflects the charged e-beam at right angles to the magnetic field to cause the deflection. :smile:

berkeman said:
No, a gyroscope is a whole different thing. You can read about gyroscopes at wikipedia.

The most common use of the Lorentz force is in CRT TV displays. There is a varying magnetic field in the neck of the CRT that deflects the electron beam to paint the surface of the display with the varying intensity beam to form the 2-D picture. The Lorentz Force is what deflects the charged e-beam at right angles to the magnetic field to cause the deflection. :smile:

Thanks for the clarification, i never knew it was the Lorentz force that deflected the beams.

Likes berkeman
I'm wondering now why his professor didn't propose Lorentz force as the cause, it seems to expain it completely, i suppose the plasma only spins due to it's containment?

The guy says the magnetic field is spinning. They is just plain wrong. Weird video.

1. Why does a stationary magnet cause plasma to spin?

The interaction between a magnet and plasma is due to electromagnetic forces. When a magnet is placed near the plasma, the magnetic field lines exert a force on the charged particles in the plasma, causing them to move in a circular motion. This results in the plasma spinning around the magnet.

2. How does a stationary magnet affect the direction of plasma spin?

The direction of the plasma spin is dependent on the orientation of the magnet. The magnetic field lines of the magnet determine the direction of the force exerted on the charged particles in the plasma, which in turn determines the direction of the plasma spin.

3. Can any type of magnet cause plasma to spin?

Yes, any type of magnet can cause plasma to spin as long as it has a magnetic field. However, the strength of the magnetic field will determine how much the plasma is affected and the speed of the spin.

4. What is the significance of plasma spin in scientific research?

Plasma spin is important in many scientific applications, such as fusion energy research and space exploration. In fusion energy research, scientists use the spin of plasma to contain and control the extremely hot and dense plasma needed for fusion reactions. In space exploration, plasma spin can be used to propel spacecraft by utilizing the interaction between the plasma and a magnetic field.

5. Is plasma spin a constant phenomenon or can it be controlled?

Plasma spin can be controlled by adjusting the strength and orientation of the magnet. Scientists can also use additional magnetic fields or electric fields to manipulate the plasma spin. However, the stability and control of the plasma spin is still an ongoing area of research.