Lightbulb Brightness Homework: Series & Parallel Circuits

In summary, the conversation discusses two light bulbs of different resistances connected in series and parallel with a battery. It is stated that in series, the brightness depends on the power consumed by the bulb, which can be calculated using the relation P=I^2*R. In parallel, the bulb with higher current or lower resistance will be brighter. It is also mentioned that in series, the larger resistance is brighter, while in parallel, the brightness depends on the heating effect.
JWSiow

Homework Statement

Two light bulbs of resistance R1=10 ohms and R2 = 15ohms are connected in series with a 25V battery. Which bulb glows more brightly?

Now the bulbs are connected in parallel with the battery. Which bulb now glows more brightly?

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

...This seems like an easy question, but I just don't understand it! I know if they were the same resistance the brightness of each bulb would be the same, but don't really know why. I thought the amount of current passing through each bulb determined brightness, but then I read that from the Junction rule, the current through each component is the same!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey, the brightness depends on the power consumed by the bulb. When bulbs are in series,yes, as you said current flow is same. You calculate power consumed by each bulb now using relation
[tex] P= I^2 R[/tex]
from which you can find which bulb is more brighter.
When they are in parallel, surely, bulb with higher current through it (or which has lower resistance) will be brighter, since voltage here is same on two bulbs.

In series combination the same current flows through both the resistances. Brightness depends on the heating effect. And it is given by either I^2*R, or V^2/R or V*I. So in series combination larger resistance is brighter.

In parallel combination...?

Ok, thanks heaps!

Dear student,

You are on the right track. The brightness of a light bulb is determined by the amount of current passing through it. In a series circuit, the current is the same through each component, so the bulbs will have the same brightness. This is because the current is limited by the total resistance of the circuit, which in this case is the sum of R1 and R2.

In a parallel circuit, the current is split between the components. This means that the bulb with the lower resistance (R1 in this case) will have a higher current passing through it, and therefore will be brighter. This is because the current follows the path of least resistance, and R1 provides less resistance than R2.

I hope this helps to clarify the concept for you. Keep up the good work in your studies of circuits and electricity!

Best,

1. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single path, with one end of each component connected to the next. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in separate branches, with both ends of each component connected to the same two points.

2. How does the brightness of lightbulbs change in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the brightness of lightbulbs decreases as more bulbs are added because the total voltage is divided between each bulb.

3. How does the brightness of lightbulbs change in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the brightness of lightbulbs remains the same regardless of the number of bulbs because each bulb receives the full voltage.

4. Can I mix different wattage lightbulbs in a series or parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, it is not recommended to mix different wattage lightbulbs as this can cause uneven brightness and potential damage to the bulbs. In a parallel circuit, it is possible to mix different wattage bulbs, but it is recommended to use bulbs with similar wattage for optimal brightness.

5. Is it better to use a series or parallel circuit for home lighting?

For home lighting, parallel circuits are typically used because they allow for each lightbulb to receive the full voltage, resulting in brighter and more consistent lighting. Additionally, if one bulb burns out in a parallel circuit, the other bulbs will still remain lit.