• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diy Lighting
DaveC426913
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Looking for lighting advice for the houses in a (O-gauge) miniature village
I've been workng on "Storybook"-style Houses for a wooden miniature village I'm building for my wife. They are approximately 1/48th-1/35th scale. There will be several in the village.

I plan to light them internally, but I only need one light in each. I will cover the windows in translucent paper so you just see the glow from within.

I'm debating on what kind of lighting to use. Simplest would be little 4watt Night Lights, plugged into 110v extension cords run in the back of each house. But I wonder if it would be better to go for something safer, like in the 12v range, and maybe I can run all lights off one cord. (I guess I could use a string of old Christmas lights, with one bulb in each house.)

Suggestions?

House 1.jpg

• Love
Likes pinball1970
Physics news on Phys.org
Get a 5 metre roll of warm white LEDs. $5.00 / metre.
"5M/16.4ft 320 COB LED Strip Lights, 8mm, 6000 Lumens Warm & Cold White Lighting 12V Bedroom Decoration Lamp String"

Cut the 5 m strip into small groups, there are solder pads provided along the strip where you should cut. Run a low_voltage distribution, 12 V, with buried twisted pair wires.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970 and DaveC426913
Look to the model railroading hobby.
Screenshot 2024-02-15 at 7.22.13 PM.png

They have lots of products and lots of little houses to put them into.
I would think that low voltage LEDs would be the modern approach.

Likes Rive
DaveC426913 said:
TL;DR Summary: Looking for lighting advice for the houses in a (O-gauge) miniature village

I've been workng on "Storybook"-style Houses for a wooden miniature village I'm building for my wife. They are approximately 1/48th-1/35th scale. There will be several in the village.

I plan to light them internally, but I only need one light in each. I will cover the windows in translucent paper so you just see the glow from within.

I'm debating on what kind of lighting to use. Simplest would be little 4watt Night Lights, plugged into 110v extension cords run in the back of each house. But I wonder if it would be better to go for something safer, like in the 12v range, and maybe I can run all lights off one cord. (I guess I could use a string of old Christmas lights, with one bulb in each house.)

Suggestions?
Aesthetically, redder lighting looks more olde worlde, magical. 2000-3000 K LEDs

https://insights.regencysupply.com/...ct-and-how-do-you-choose-it-for-your-lighting

1708090618837.png

Last edited:
Likes sophiecentaur
BillTre said:
Look to the model railroading hobby.
I think that would be the simplest solution, with the widest possible variations.
But if DIY is required, then I would check up on LED 'filaments': they are meant to replace incandescent lamps, with plenty of 'warmth' variations...
Also, without that disturbing 'pointiness' of regular LEDs.
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/s330529193385665136_p196_i4_w997-jpg.318754/

Ps.: there are flexible ones too, these days...
-chip-2200k-the-pi-hut-fit0812-30154935730371_700x.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes pinball1970 and BillTre