How Does Gravity Affect Light with Zero Mass?

In summary: The formulas from classical mechanics still apply in the "v much greater than c" case, as long as the speeds are large compared to the speed of light.
squareroot
So, an object can move with c if and only if it has 0 mass.So howcome that light is bended by gravity? How can smth with 0 mass be bend by gravity?

Ty

Physics news on Phys.org
squareroot said:
So, an object can move with c if and only if it has 0 mass.So howcome that light is bended by gravity? How can smth with 0 mass be bend by gravity?

Ty
Well,I think when the 0 mass moves,it's mass is no longer 0 according to the formula E=m*c^2

Because gravity couples to energy (and momentum, and stress), not mass. A photon has zero mass but nonzero energy.

ty for your answers .I haven't studied relativity in school yet but from what i know gravity is mass times gravitational acc.,but.if u apply that here m is zero so G is zero

Are the formulas from classic mechanics applicable in any relativistic situation?

squareroot said:
So, an object can move with c if and only if it has 0 mass.So howcome that light is bended by gravity? How can smth with 0 mass be bend by gravity?Ty

The bending of light around objects with mass, gravitational lensing, occurs because the spacetime around a massive object (such as the sun, a galaxy, etc.), is curved, and distorts the path of the light traveling near that object.

See this image for an example:

http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/upload/2010/07/see_a_quasar_gravitationally_l/gravitational-lens-01.jpeg

As Bill K said, it is the momentum of the photons that determines how dramatically they are curved away from their original path.

Last edited by a moderator:
squareroot said:
ty for your answers .I haven't studied relativity in school yet but from what i know gravity is mass times gravitational acc.,but.if u apply that here m is zero so G is zero

Are the formulas from classic mechanics applicable in any relativistic situation?
Only as approximations in the "v much less than c" case.

1. What is lightspeed?

Lightspeed, also known as the speed of light, is the fastest speed at which energy, information, or matter can travel. In a vacuum, it has a constant value of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

2. Can anything travel at lightspeed?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, nothing with mass can travel at the speed of light. Only massless particles, such as photons, can reach lightspeed.

3. What is the relationship between lightspeed and mass?

As an object's speed approaches the speed of light, its mass increases. This phenomenon is known as mass-energy equivalence and is described by Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2.

4. Is it possible for an object with 0 mass to travel at lightspeed?

Yes, since an object with 0 mass would not be affected by the increase in mass at lightspeed, it would be able to travel at the speed of light without any restriction.

5. What are some potential implications of lightspeed and 0 mass?

If an object with 0 mass could travel at lightspeed, it could potentially travel through time, as time dilation occurs at high speeds. Additionally, understanding the relationship between lightspeed and mass could lead to breakthroughs in energy production and space travel.